Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sschlobohm

Reaction score
How realistic is the weight limits on the 2016 equinox, anyone have any experience towing heavier trailers.?

burnbomber

Reaction score
This is for my 2010 2.4. i do not know if your engine is the same. My book says it's OK for 1000 lbs without trailer brakes, and 1500 with trailer brakes. With the V6, can go to 3500 lbs.

I've towed a bunch, and can tell you that 1200 lbs is about the limit for the car. Get much over 1300, etc., the ride will hurt you. Enough that you'll want to stop and off load, to get to 1200-1300.

You know how an empty trailer feels--like it's not there. No problem going, stopping. Well, when loaded too much it will bounce the car, so it is reacting and getting pushed up and down by the trailer tongue. I don't like that, but that's me.

I've overloaded my trailer, lots. A standard Harbor Freight fold-up, 4 by 8 with box on it (half-ton load limit) I've revised the spring mounts, to get a couple inches more spring travel. And, I've put high pressure trailer tires (load C, not the crappy B's). Otherwise, the tires control the load. If you push them, be sure they're not aged, cause they will blow. The original B's lasted 16 years, and died on the road.

So, I use the pull rig, lots. Got divorced and moved everything in it, from S. Oklahoma to NW Missouri. I've pulled enough thru landfill scales to know tonnage I'm carrying. 1300 is my personal limit--I've pulled over a ton but local only. Extra heavy--here's my practice--no highway and get it off quick. Long road hauls, reduce load from 1800 more or less, to 1300. Lose that extra 4 to 500 lbs.

And, I'm curious too as to other long haul travel practices.

Members online

No members online now.