Towing advice ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lee

Reaction score
Front axle GAWR - 2,950 lbs
Looks like you transposed the numbers.
My sticker shows 2,590

I would not be comfortable with towing a trailer that was close to the weight of my Equinox even though I have the 2.0 and trailer package.
The most I would want to pull without trailer brakes is 1,500 pounds.
If we had to pull our two motorcycles with our aluma trailer, that would be around 1,400 pounds.

NXR71

Reaction score
Fixed, thanks!

Remember, brakes on a vehicle are only designed to stop the weight of the GVWR, never the GCWR. 1,500 lbs would be 30% of our GVWR. With two adults, two suitcases and the dogs we're probably using 550 of my 970 lbs. Pulling an unbraked trailer of 1,500 lbs would be asking our brakes to stop roughly 18% more than they were designed and tested for.

970 minus 550 = 420 lbs before hitting GVWR.

GVWR is 4,850. 4,850 minus 420 = 4,430 lbs
4,430 + 1,500 lb trailer = 5,930
4,850 GVWR divided by 5,930 combined weight = 82%

Could they? Certainly. Would it take a longer distance? Certainly, especially if the brakes are already worn to a good degree. How much? No clue. Would the brakes be overtaxed? The way things are built so close to limits nowadays, probably. If I do that often am I going to have to pay for brake jobs more often? Yup, unless I dump it on someone else first .:)

NXR71

Reaction score
I would not be comfortable with towing a trailer that was close to the weight of my Equinox even though I have the 2.0 and trailer package.
I missed the significance of that particular sentence earlier so I want to reinforce it for readers. While there is no "rule of thumb" for that ratio that I could find, it just makes sense for smaller, lighter tow vehicles. Unlike a real truck these are primarily passenger vehicles that also can tow a bit.

A common rule of thumb for consumer-type towing vehicles is the tow vehicle wheelbase length to trailer length ratio. The first 110" of tow vehicle wheelbase gives you about 20' of trailer. Every 4" of additional wheelbase gives you 12" more trailer.

My 2020 Equinox has a wheelbase of 107". While there is no formula to "reverse" that wheelbase-to-trailer rule, if you did, it would be a lot less than 19'. Shorter wheelbase vehicles are just more unstable when a trailer behind you starts to sway. That's a LOT of leverage and wind load back there trying to whip you around.

There are no standardized tests that a vehicle manufacturer can use to try and determine how much is too much. It's all drivetrain, frame, and brake related. But itt also depends on what you're towing. A 20' boat trailer that is primarily open to the wind and semi-streamlined with the boat hull is going to present far less side wind load than a 20' box trailer where every side adds dramatically to the sail effect.

As usual, the correct answer is "It depends" but in this case it's not "more is better"; it's "less is better".:)

Eevee14

Reaction score
I have a 2020 LT, 1.5, FWD, and I tow a ~1500 lbs popup. We've averaged 1-2 400 mi trips around Michigan for the last few years and had no problems.

Without the tow package our hitch was installed below the bumper, its low enough that you may bump curbs from from time to time. I think I spent $300-400 for the hitch/wiring/install in the peak of the Pandemic.

Since it’s a turbo it can be a little slow to react when passing people on the highway, and it can be a little quick to downshift on hills, but overall it’s fine.

Thank you for this insight , this has been the most helpful comment

Eevee14

Reaction score
Interesting stuff. Per that tire loading info sticker on my 2021 LT AWD model, it says 1105lbs. So I assume if I take the GVWR of 4630 and subtract 1105 from it, my vehicle should weigh about 3525lbs.

Hey @Eevee14, aren't ya glad you posted? LOL
Lmao i didn’t even know this whole thread was happening . You guys are the best.

Eevee14

Reaction score
I had only read one reply , and then realized there was a whole discussion. All of you have been super helpful and informative and i appreciate it! This will definitely help with how we decide to go about the hitch, to the way we drive and what to look for . Thank you again !

Members online

No members online now.