2022 LT AWD occasional hesitation under throttle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevyenginox

Reaction score
2022 lt AWD with 29k miles. So occasionally I notice that it seems like the engine looses power under light to medium throttle, always while at speed. It’s like I’ll be cruising at 35-40 and try and speed up and the engine doesn’t respond for 2-3 seconds. No noises, no sputtering. I can’t decide if the trans searching for a gear or if the engine just looses power. Any one have this? I don’t get trouble codes or engine lights so I’m at a loss.

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
Air filter or fuel filter. 2-3 seconds is a lot of delay at a speed where the turbo makes plenty of power.

Rockerdad

Reaction score
Air filter or fuel filter. 2-3 seconds is a lot of delay at a speed where the turbo makes plenty of power.
Equinox LT 2022 with 21k miles. Would you mind elaborating? The same thing happens to me, always has. Mechanic says he "can't reproduce it". I drive on the highway often and accelerating through the on ramp can be challenging if there's a lot of fast traffic.

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
35-40 the turbo should spool pretty quickly and add the boost to get it moving. I wonder if there is an issue where the transmission doesn't downshift properly? I have also heard that the turbo bypass valves get week and stick open. I realize I have the 2.0, but if I am going 35 mph and really step on the accelerator, my car will spin the front tires.

Rockerdad

Reaction score
Yeah that's what I assumed. But you mentioned those filters. Is that something I should look into replacing?

Old Newbie

Reaction score
2022 lt AWD with 29k miles. So occasionally I notice that it seems like the engine looses power under light to medium throttle, always while at speed. It’s like I’ll be cruising at 35-40 and try and speed up and the engine doesn’t respond for 2-3 seconds. No noises, no sputtering. I can’t decide if the trans searching for a gear or if the engine just looses power. Any one have this? I don’t get trouble codes or engine lights so I’m at a loss.
We have a 2019 Equinox with 1.5 , and this problem has been an issue since new. Problem is that doesn't happen very often, and no lights so can't fix. After 5 years engine light came on and stayed on. Talked to a mechanic who has noticed this problem with the Equinox.Code P0299 , and replaced Mass Airflow sensor That was case 1, Case 2 Charge Air Cooler Icing, which was part two of a recall, when dealing with slush going in the front end engine area after that Scan codes P0299 Engine underboost did road test and found that boost pressure was lower than desired boost pressure. Changed out Turbo and associated parts(Warrenty) cleared codes and road test . No light on. While vehicle was in dealership, they notice oil on floor, which led them to change out rear engine seal for the second time in 2 years. While it was in Garage, had a 2018 Equinox with a 1.5 engine which while I had it did not hesitate when accelerating. About half an hour after picking vehicle up. Did left hand turn, and hesitated as much as usual, good thing nobody was coming at that time!! I would not be able to get out of the way. Everything has been covered under warrenty so far with 100 dollar deductable Mine has just over 40K.Oh and I have had the retractable roof replaced under warrenty as well. Dosen't fit like the original. Now I noticed that the rear camera has a spot on it that was not there before!! This engine problem is complex, and they try. but I don't think that they will be able to repair. I have driven a 2.0 Equinox of the same age, and it does not seem to have the same issues. This unit was built here in Canada, but I think it would be happier somewhere warmer.!!!

Rockerdad

Reaction score
That sucks that you and the shop went through all of that to end up with it nor being any better. I think my next vehicle will be a Charger. I'm assuming that'll have plenty of pep lol

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
I dug into this a bit. There is a TSB for the 1.5 in the Malibu that covers this issue (19-NA-058.) The error is believed to be caused by false knock detection. While your engine may not actually experience knock, the engine management thinks it does. The fix is a software upgrade for the ECM. It sounds like the same issue.

ricklack

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the fuel filter is not a replaceable item on the 2022.

Rockerdad

Reaction score
I dug into this a bit. There is a TSB for the 1.5 in the Malibu that covers this issue (19-NA-058.) The error is believed to be caused by false knock detection. While your engine may not actually experience knock, the engine management thinks it does. The fix is a software upgrade for the ECM. It sounds like the same issue.
Thanks. I gotta bring it in for new brakes so I'll ask them about that. I'll update when/if I get any answers.

Ponomo

Reaction score
Whenever i have hesitation I clean out the throttle body. usually gets pretty dirty around the plate. All you need is some brake cleaner and a rag. hope this helps.

Rockerdad

Reaction score
Whenever i have hesitation I clean out the throttle body. usually gets pretty dirty around the plate. All you need is some brake cleaner and a rag. hope this helps.
Thanks. I just looked up how to do this. Seems straightforward. From some comments I've now learned not to touch the butterfly lol probably best I leave it to the shop. But I did learn something new, so thank you for that 😁

Latest posts