2020 premier rear hatch kick illumination

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fpfontaine

Reaction score
I just bought a 2020 Equinox Premier. The illumination bowtie for the kick location is not working. My premier is pretty well loaded with options so I'm assuming it should have the bootie illumination for the rear hatch. Maybe I'm missing something in the setting option that would enable the light.

Any help or a picture showing the location of the light. If anyone has one it would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Francis

fpfontaine

Reaction score
Big Papi, thanks for the link to the manual. I have the manual.

I was really hoping that someone would have or could take a picture of the lift gate illumination. It must be near the bumper on the under side of the car.

ravenblack67

Reaction score
According to GM, the front illuminates. Not the rear.
  • Part Number: 84602070

Increase the visibility of your Equinox with these eye-catching exterior illuminated Black Bowtie Emblems from Chevrolet. This Genuine Chevrolet Accessory lighted bowtie package includes a Front Illuminated Black Bowtie Emblem and Rear Non-Illuminated Bowtie Emblem in Black. The front grille emblem has a chrome surround appearance during the day but is illuminated at night when the lights come on. These durable and long-lasting premium emblems have been cycled 1.5 million times and tested to withstand extreme temperatures from -40℉ to +158℉. This 100% water resistant Black Bowtie emblem set is also offered as a factory option using LPO code R88. Designed for models with LED Headlamps, Factory Option T4L.

fpfontaine

Reaction score
I'm looking for the location of the light/LED that projects a bowtie emblem on the ground so you know where to kick to open the rear lift gate.

Lee

Reaction score
I know what you're talking about but I wonder if that option was not available on the 2020 Equinox.
I've seen videos of that option on other Chevys and it's a neat feature to make sure you kick in the correct location.
To make sure I get the correct location on my 2018 I place my foot directly below the sensor.
I looked and the 2020 manual and they don't mention the light on the page covering the kick to open feature.

Lee

Reaction score
Here's a video for the people not familiar with the option.

"
"

fpfontaine

Reaction score
Hey Lee, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not sure it was available on the 2020 Premier, the salesman said it was. I'm going to send the Vin number to the dealer and see if my car has it.

Anyone else with a 2020 Premier can share what they have..

Framcis

Lee

Reaction score
When I look at the Settings in your 2020 manual,
I see you can turn off the kick feature but no mention of shutting off the light that projects down to the ground.

Hands Free Liftgate Control
The liftgate may be operated with a
kicking motion under the rear
bumper between the left exhaust
pipe and the license plate. See
Liftgate 0 21.
Touch Off, On-Open and Close,
or On-Open Only.

BruceC

Reaction score
Hey Lee, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not sure it was available on the 2020 Premier, the salesman said it was. I'm going to send the Vin number to the dealer and see if my car has it.

Anyone else with a 2020 Premier can share what they have..

Framcis
My daughter has a 2018 Premier and this feature is on her car as the same on my 2022 Premier. I do not see why they would cancel it one year and bring it back

fpfontaine

Reaction score
My daughter has a 2018 Premier and this feature is on her car as the same on my 2022 Premier. I do not see why they would cancel it one year and bring it back
Would it be possible for you to take a picture of the 2022 light location and post it here. It would be greatly appreciated.

Francis

Lee

Reaction score
MY 2018 Premier doesn't have the light that shows on the ground. It was built May 2017 so that feature may not have been on the early builds.

Lee

Reaction score
One video I just watched mentioned the light will not turn on if both fobs are near the car.

ravenblack67

Reaction score
If you scan the QR code on the door jamb it will show you the RPO codes for your vehicle. Those tell you everything you ever wanted to know about your vehicle.

fpfontaine

Reaction score
How do I decode the RPO codes?

2020,1XS26,02,20,X ,XNGW5C, AG1 AG2 AR9 AXP AY0 CJ2 C3M C3U DD8 DWL EF7 EPM FJW F48 GNA GND G1W IOT I20 J17 LTG MAH M3D NE1 NE1 NUB N34 PJT QCL RR0 SAL TC2 UDD UQA U2K V8D V92 WML ZP5 2LZ 2LZ 4EL 4GO 6X1 62R 7X1 8X2 9X2,140X,,,,

CocoaJeff

Reaction score
This issue is also being discussed in another thread:

I think they have figured out the issue. When you get the Redline edition, you still get the power liftgate and the option to open it via the button on the liftgate, the button on the driver's door, and the button on the key fob. But for some reason, you lose the hand's free option (one poster suggested that it might be due to different wiring harnesses between the different editions). I have a 2024 Premier Redline Edition, and I can confirm that there is no light that shows on the ground and no hands-free option.

NXR71

Reaction score
Thanks. My 2020 is not the Redline edition and I also have no light.

Latest posts