2020 premier rear hatch kick illumination

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lee

Reaction score
This issue is also being discussed in another thread:

I think they have figured out the issue. When you get the Redline edition, you still get the power liftgate and the option to open it via the button on the liftgate, the button on the driver's door, and the button on the key fob. But for some reason, you lose the hand's free option (one poster suggested that it might be due to different wiring harnesses between the different editions). I have a 2024 Premier Redline Edition, and I can confirm that there is no light that shows on the ground and no hands-free option.
I don't see the light on the ground mentioned in that thread.

CocoaJeff

Reaction score
Tnen it might be connected to another option package that you have. Sometimes certain option packages will override basic options for others.

CocoaJeff

Reaction score
I don't see the light on the ground mentioned in that thread.
They don't specifically mention the "light on the ground", but the thread is mostly regarding the hands-free liftgate option which is directly connected to the "light on the ground". If you don't have the hands-free option, then you're not going to have that "light on the ground".

fpfontaine

Reaction score
So my 2020 Premier 2.0 AWD has the hands free. I can kick to open, use the remote, push the button on the driver's door, or squeeze the rear hatch button, but no light on the ground.

CocoaJeff

Reaction score
So my 2020 Premier 2.0 AWD has the hands free. I can kick to open, use the remote, push the button on the driver's door, or squeeze the rear hatch button, but no light on the ground.
Ahhh... gotcha. Do we know if ALL models with hands-free have the projected light on the ground?

fpfontaine

Reaction score
I just called Chevolet support number. Not only was he very hard the understand because of the accent, but he was no help either.

Lee

Reaction score
Do we know if ALL models with hands-free have the projected light on the ground?
Sounds like 2021 or 2022 and later. One person said his daughter's 2018 Premier had it, but I question that because my 2018 Premier has the kick feature but not the projected light on the ground. When I've done internet searches the earliest mention I've seen having the light is the video of the 2022 Premier I posted near the beginning of the thread.
NXR71 posted his 2020 Premier does not have the light. Maybe if other members with a 2020 or 2021 Premier let us know if they have the light we'll know when the light option was added.

Last edited:

CocoaJeff

Reaction score
We do, as others noted. :)

Did you perhaps mean "any" instead of "all"?
I guess I was just getting confused. My initial assumption (yes, I know) was that any Equinox with the hands-free option would have the light. And that perhaps those of you who have hands-free and didn't see the light, might have a bad light / projector or whatever. But in learning more about the issue, it definitely sounds like some hands-free liftgates have the light, and some simply don't.

Lee

Reaction score
it definitely sounds like some hands-free liftgates have the light, and some simply don't.
At least if it's 2022 and newer, if you have handsfree you have the light.
The light would look neat but for me it would not be needed.
The button sensor on the rear bumper is very noticeable making it easy to know where to kick.
When we first got the car it took me awhile to learn where to kick and I had to learn to back up after kicking or it would not open.

Vondoman

Reaction score
Ahhh... gotcha. Do we know if ALL models with hands-free have the projected light on the ground?
My wife’s been lucky about a half doz times but it’s difficult to find that ‘sweet spot w/ your foot’…. Especially when your arms are full

NXR71

Reaction score
My wife’s been lucky about a half doz times but it’s difficult to find that ‘sweet spot w/ your foot’…. Especially when your arms are full
Yeah, I don't know who thought that method was a good idea...

My 2016 Sonata, like the newest Equinox apparently, used the proximity of the key fob to open the rear hatch. Stand behind the car for a few seconds and it starts beeping and the lights start blinking. If you do not move away within 3 or 4 seconds then the rear hatch opens by itself. The delay is long enough that I could walk past the car in the garage and not trigger the beeping/blinking.

Lee

Reaction score
Kick directly below the sensor in the bumper. I'm talking about the little round circle.

fpfontaine

Reaction score
Ok, so not all 2020 Premier with hands free have the light.

To help clear up some confusion as where to kick for the hand's free option. On the rear bumper there a 4 backup sensors. Kick under the one cicled in red on the driver's side as shown in the attached picture.

Francis

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240624_183309_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240624_183309_Photos.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 6

Lee

Reaction score
Ok, so not all 2020 Premier with hands free have the light.

To help clear up some confusion as where to kick for the hand's free option. On the rear bumper there a 4 backup sensors. Kick under the one cicled in red on the driver's side as shown in the attached picture.

Francis
Good picture (y)

Members online