Timing chain replace, is it inevitable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travis Bickle

Reaction score
Was just idly curious. 2015, 2.4 LEA, 77,000+ on it. Runs perfect, no detectable rattle, that I can tell anyway.

Is it a foregone conclusion that the timing chain will have to be replaced at some point? Should it be done so preemptively, as a rule, at say 80,000-100,000, or is it possible it'll just last for the life of the vehicle?

bagbyjw

Reaction score
This link says between 80k - 120k

PoManNox

Reaction score
Was just idly curious. 2015, 2.4 LEA, 77,000+ on it. Runs perfect, no detectable rattle, that I can tell anyway.

Is it a foregone conclusion that the timing chain will have to be replaced at some point? Should it be done so preemptively, as a rule, at say 80,000-100,000, or is it possible it'll just last for the life of the vehicle?
I'd keep up on frequent oil changes, make sure to never run the oil level low and ride on. Cut open all your used oil filters and examine them for metal bits if you are concerned. If you hear a hint of rattle, it may be time, or it could be something else. If you have concerns, you can pull any of the oil pressure control solenoids to look for metal bits on their screens, you may have caught it just in time or it could be too late at that point.

A lot of people claim "Oh I maintained this thing meticulously", but they are the second or third owner, or they stretched oil changes too long some of the time, or they let the oil level run low some of the time, etc. Meticulous maintenance to me is oil changes every ~4K miles, every time since new, without fail. Every 5-6K miles is good maintenance. I wouldn't go beyond that with any GDI engine.

sdhow

Reaction score

Yes. Go to the wrecking yard and look at all of the undamaged Equinoxes that have been scraped. When you break or stretch the timing chain, it's an interference fit engine. Chances are, it's now junk.

TopHat

Reaction score
A timing chain for a well-maintained vehicle should last 300K miles. A timing belt is a different matter and probably won't survive 75K miles. I've never needed to change a timing chain on a GM vehicle that I have owned. If you bought it used, hope you got documentation of oil/filter changes, etc.

Travis Bickle

Reaction score
A timing chain for a well-maintained vehicle should last 300K miles. A timing belt is a different matter and probably won't survive 75K miles. I've never needed to change a timing chain on a GM vehicle that I have owned. If you bought it used, hope you got documentation of oil/filter changes, etc.
Does that include experience with the 2.4l Ecotec LEA?

I agree with the statement, in general.

TopHat

Reaction score
2.4l Ecotec
No it does not. A sad engine. Reminds me of a very good Ford/Lincoln engine that had timing chain issues. About 2013 it came out with a turbocharged 3.5-liter V6 engine that produced 365 horsepower. Ford quietly, a number of years later, strengthened the timing chain system and added a 2nd chain. Those who had the earlier versions usually continued to experience timing chain issues around 100K.

sdhow

Reaction score

..and it's not just the chains that are suspect. It's the guide material used on the tensioners...and there are like 5.

You bring up a good point with the oil quality and change intervals. If you go by the oil monitor, it's way too long. I never go more than 4k on my oil changes.

Members online

No members online now.