Plz help...ran out of gas now it wont start only cranks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cindyg86

Reaction score
Hello i have a 2005 equinox and I ran it out of gas. I out a little over a gallon in it and drove it home which was only about a mile. It sat a day and I started it again . It started but ran really rough and I only made it about 500 feet before it died. It hasn't started one time since it just cranks. Plz help!

NoSport

Reaction score
Check for fuel pressure on the fuel rail at the Schrader valve.

PoManNox

Reaction score
Pretty sure the OP is long gone, but if not, can you hear the fuel pump whirring in the tank for a few seconds when you cycle the ignition? If not, give the plastic fuel tank a good whack with your hand, rubber mallet, etc and see if that kick starts the in-tank fuel pump.

cindyg86

Reaction score
Pretty sure the OP is long gone, but if not, can you hear the fuel pump whirring in the tank for a few seconds when you cycle the ignition? If not, give the plastic fuel tank a good whack with your hand, rubber mallet, etc and see if that kick starts the in-tank fuel pump.
Yes I can hear the fuel pump kick on when I turn the key over but it just cranks

cindyg86

Reaction score
That's correct.
Is the car parked on a slope?
Have you added more than the one gallon you added the other day?
No it's on level ground. I added 2 more gallons today and attached battery cables to it and it acted like it wanted to start and kinda started once but then it went back to just cranking

Reactions: Lee

cavell

Reaction score
any shop can look at it. Getting it there is next step. Autozone has free loaner program where you could use a fuel pressure gauge. Depends on what you want to do next
3.4 is pushrod motor. They don’t die from timing belt issues. Running out of gas and no start may not be coincidence. As to fuel issue.

NOX4ME

Reaction score
Hello i have a 2005 equinox and I ran it out of gas. I out a little over a gallon in it and drove it home which was only about a mile. It sat a day and I started it again . It started but ran really rough and I only made it about 500 feet before it died. It hasn't started one time since it just cranks. Plz help!
With electronic fuel injection cars -- especially ones that have been run dry on fuel -- you need to prime the fuel system. Simply turn the key to the ON position without starting the engine. When you hear the fuel pump engage then stop, turn the key to the OFF position, then repeat at least 10 times. Be sure you have at minimum 5 gallons of fuel in the tank before you begin. Once the system is properly primed just start the engine (typical rule of thumb when starting a EFI vehicle) turn the key to ON wait 5 seconds then turn it to the START position.

cindyg86

Reaction score
Hey thanks everyone for all the advice!! I got it running again finally. Put some sea foam in the manifold and emptied the gad that was in the tank and she runs like a dream now. Have been putting fuel cleaner in when I get fuel just to make sure all the water is gone out of the tank. But all is well now thanks everyone for the tips!!!

TopHat

Reaction score
So happy for you that you got your Nox up and running again. Best not to let any vehicle get low on gas as more likely for condensation to form in the tank. If you get low on gas, your vehicle could struggle with that water. Water forms in all tanks, even the supply and storage tanks and in significant amounts.

Members online

No members online now.