Auto-start-stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vondoman

Reaction score
Okay, so I finally purchased and installed the Auto Stop Start Eliminator from Amazon (under $20 including shipping and tax) for our 2019 Equinox. And just as others have reported, it works absolutely perfectly.

If you examine each of the connectors closely, you will find that there are very small position alignment keys, so that you will install each connector plug/socket correctly. And when installed correctly it does not set any codes or cause any other issues.

I absolutely could not resist “taking a peek inside” of the Amazon cable device, which looks like nothing more than a short cable with connectors to install at the hood latch. With a new blade in my Exacto knife, I very carefully slit the electrical tape around the “split loom tubing,” and removed it from the 3-wire assembly. Ah Ha!! There is a small resistor involved along with re-wiring on two of the three wires. After sketching out the schematic, and then studying the hood latch switch circuit in the GM factory service manual, I discovered the “engineering brilliance” of this device. And I now see how they made it work with setting any codes or causing any other issues. It would probably take me several pages to attempt to describe, but I will just say that it involves tricking the “resistance ladder” of the hood latch circuit. I would LOVE to know if anyone knows who the “inventor” of this device. It is Absolute brilliant.

Vondoman

Reaction score
I just can’t get my head around the idea that a ‘hood latch’ wire would have ANYTHING to do with the auto stop feature.

Vondoman

Reaction score
Ordered which one, there is nothing that goes to a different web page.
Yeah.. WHICH one? Some have the a Big Plug… some, a Small plug. See attached pic
I have used the eliminator I purchased from Amazon for about six months. It takes less than five minutes to install. It has worked flawlessly and has not interfered with any other function. Mt Equinox is a 2021 and it does not have the disable button.

Attachments

• IMG_2722.jpeg
    IMG_2722.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1

AmmoJoe

Reaction score
I just can’t get my head around the idea that a ‘hood latch’ wire would have ANYTHING to do with the auto stop feature.
I don’t think it has anything to do with the hood latch it’s just NEAR the hood latch.

TopHat

Reaction score
I must have missed something; can't you disable the auto/stop feature using these methods:

2022 – 2023 Models​

Unlike earlier models, the Chevy Equinox 2022 and 2023 have a button to enable or disable the auto-stop/start feature.

1. Press the button to disable the feature.
  2. Check on the dashboard to see the “Auto-stop has been turned off” notification.

2011 – 2021 Models​

Chevrolet decided not to make a switch or button for those who want to disable the Auto Stop/Start feature. However, there is a workaround that will work to shut it off. Follow these steps:

1. Start the Equinox and shift the gear to “L.” This puts the transmission into “Manual Mode.”
  2. Use the + and buttons on the top of the gear shift to change the range of gears repeatedly until you are in L6. You can go up to “9” as you drive. This number should show on the display located on the instrument panel.
That’s it! With the Chevy Equinox gear set up in this manner, the Automatic Stop/Start feature is turned off and won’t bother you again.

AmmoJoe

Reaction score
I must have missed something; can't you disable the auto/stop feature using these methods:

2022 – 2023 Models​

Unlike earlier models, the Chevy Equinox 2022 and 2023 have a button to enable or disable the auto-stop/start feature.

2. Check on the dashboard to see the “Auto-stop has been turned off” notification.

2011 – 2021 Models​

Chevrolet decided not to make a switch or button for those who want to disable the Auto Stop/Start feature. However, there is a workaround that will work to shut it off. Follow these steps:

1. Start the Equinox and shift the gear to “L.” This puts the transmission into “Manual Mode.”
  2. Use the + and buttons on the top of the gear shift to change the range of gears repeatedly until you are in L6. You can go up to “9” as you drive. This number should show on the display located on the instrument panel.
That’s it! With the Chevy Equinox gear set up in this manner, the Automatic Stop/Start feature is turned off and won’t bother you again.
Until you go to put the car in Reverse and hit the gas and just rev the engine in neutral bc you are an extra gear down.
Also 2011-2017 didn’t have an auto start stop feature. It started with the 2018 model year. But the first few model years didn’t have the button to disable.

If you don’t like the auto start stop feature whether you have the button or not, spend the $20. You will be happy you did.

Vondoman

Reaction score

2022 – 2023 Models​

2011 – 2021 Models​

Vondoman

Reaction score
Yeah… but you have to do that everytime you start the car. PITA.
Get the auto start/Stop harness. Once & done.

Attachments

• IMG_2722.jpeg
    IMG_2722.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 0

PoManNox

Reaction score

I have no idea how it works, I just know that it works perfectly in my 2021 Equinox 1.5L AWD and my 2021 Traverse LS AWD. The hood switch still functions, in that you will still get the "hood open" message if you open the hood with the ignition on. How the resistor added inline does the magic, I wish I understood..

I did try the "big connector" version of this harness on my 2016 Chevy Malibu (2015 body style) and while it does eliminate the stop/start, it sets a check engine light for hood switch circuit malfunction, so I aborted mission with that one. Could it be the harness or the vehicle for this particular application, I have no idea. I have heard of people on a Traverse board say the ~$10 harness from one seller didn't work, but one from another seller worked.

TopHat

Reaction score
Yeah… but you have to do that everytime you start the car. PITA.
Get the auto start/Stop harness. Once & done.
I like the start/stop. Use on my Escalade. However, the instructions say it won't bother you again. Did you try it?

AmmoJoe

Reaction score
I like the start/stop. Use on my Escalade. However, the instructions say it won't bother you again. Did you try it?
Every time you get in the car, you have to put it manual and press it up to the top gear. Then if you need to reverse you have to go up 3 gears to reverse instead of the standard 2 and then back down the 3 gears and press the button up to the top gear. It’s annoying to say the least esp. if you have been driving a car for a long time it’s hard to break that 2 gear habit.

PoManNox

Reaction score
Every time you get in the car, you have to put it manual and press it up to the top gear. Then if you need to reverse you have to go up 3 gears to reverse instead of the standard 2 and then back down the 3 gears and press the button up to the top gear. It’s annoying to say the least esp. if you have been driving a car for a long time it’s hard to break that 2 gear habit.

On my 2016 Malibu 2.5L, you can't even put the gear shift in manual (or L) and toggle to 6. Once you select manual/L, you have to be under way to get it to upshift to the next gear. You physically have to click the + to upshift and - to downshfot to each gear and throttle inputs are greatly governed if you up/downshift too quickly. It's super annoying. What's more annoying is it's basically the same 6spd that's in my 2021 Equinox. Same floor shifter even.

Colin Lister

Reaction score
I just turn on the Max demist/defrost button. Turn the fan and temp to desired settings and the Auto Off is off for the day. There is usually no need to do it again until you change the settings again.
Not perfect but a lot better than the L option every time you restart the engine.

PoManNox

Reaction score
I just turn on the Max demist/defrost button. Turn the fan and temp to desired settings and the Auto Off is off for the day. There is usually no need to do it again until you change the settings again.
Not perfect but a lot better than the L option every time you restart the engine.

Any HVAC settings that command the a/c compressor to run (like defrost) should hold out the auto stop/start system. I get it that there's ways to hold it out on the 2018-2024 right from the driver's seat, but you have to do be mindful of it every single trip.

The hood switch harness is ~$10. Takes literally 2 minutes of your time and you're done. You can undo it and put the vehicle back to factory form that fast as well.

I would imagine these cables will be outlawed in CARB states at some point and/or vehicles will be designed such that a simple bypass is impossible.

Colin Lister

Reaction score
I'm OK with the start stop feature working sometimes. By using the Max demist/defrost options I can disable it when I want. And it only needs to be set once a day. The hood and harness options gives me no choice at all.
And yeah my equinox is a 2018 ltv-z model.

Any HVAC settings that command the a/c compressor to run (like defrost) should hold out the auto stop/start system. I get it that there's ways to hold it out on the 2018-2024 right from the driver's seat, but you have to do be mindful of it every single trip.

The hood switch harness is ~$10. Takes literally 2 minutes of your time and you're done. You can undo it and put the vehicle back to factory form that fast as well.

I would imagine these cables will be outlawed in CARB states at some point and/or vehicles will be designed such that a simple bypass is impossible.

harness

NXR71

Reaction score
OK, I ordered that one for my 2020 AWD 2.0L so you had better be right! :)

I was torn because the original battery is just over five years old and the Auto Start/Stop rarely works anymore, usually just after a lot of interstate miles, so I figured the battery was getting weak. The coin flip was which was more desirable, the start/stop not working anymore due to an old, weak battery or possibly getting stuck somewhere in the winter. So I bit the bullet and had a new Autozone Duralast AGM Platinum battery installed today.

Once I see that Auto Start/Stop is working as often as it used to Ill put the small plug cable in and cross my fingers. :)

BTW, that battery change was a PITA for the Autozone guy. Two holddown nuts, a holddown bracket, four heavy wires needing disconnected, three lighter AWG wires needing disconnected and then the plastic "terminal blocK' pushed out of the way. The tech said it can be a 45 minute job but it only took him 30 minutes. In 90 F weather. So he definitely earned the tip.

$260 with 3-year warranty from Autozone versus $356 from the dealer with a 42-month warranty.

Latest posts