Towing advice ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eevee14

Reaction score
Newbie here.
2020 LS ( had a 2018 LT)
I have PTSD from trying to tow a small trailer on a Hyundai few years back but i doubt the car was made for towing anything.

My husband and i travel a lot and he wants to install a tow hitch so we can bring his Harley or a very small trailer. Has anyone towed with a LS, is it recommend, any advise? Thanks !

Attachments

• IMG_9220.jpeg
    IMG_9220.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8768.jpeg
    IMG_8768.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 11

Moonwink

Reaction score
In my copy of the 2020 Equinox owner's manual on page 260, it has a chart of the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) for figuring out how heavy the trailer can be. The owner's manual is the final word on weights for safety.
Trailer Towing GCWR pg 260.jpg

Eevee14

Reaction score
Thank you! I’m always worried I’m going to break something so i appreciate the manual.

Curious if anyone has towed anything for about 400 miles or more.

NXR71

Reaction score
Go to UHaul and have them do it: https://www.uhaul.com/Trailer-Hitches/

They can do it all: the hitch, the wiring, the brake controller, etc. if desired. They would not install a hitch if the vehicle was not safe to handle it.

Towing can be a non-event but that depends on several factors, the proper equipment installed correctly being a big one. Having the weight properly distributed is another. Not overloading the trailer is another one.

We towed a 10' pop-up camper thousands of miles with an original Ford Escape. The only problems we had were a flat tire so we used its spare.

Eevee14

Reaction score
Go to UHaul and have them do it: https://www.uhaul.com/Trailer-Hitches/

They can do it all: the hitch, the wiring, the brake controller, etc. if desired. They would not install a hitch if the vehicle was not safe to handle it.

Towing can be a non-event but that depends on several factors, the proper equipment installed correctly being a big one. Having the weight properly distributed is another. Not overloading the trailer is another one.

We towed a 10' pop-up camper thousands of miles with an original Ford Escape. The only problems we had were a flat tire so we used its spare.
Thank you!
We have the plug in ( i think that’s what it’s called) the dealer said it was pretty easy and my husband has experience installing them. I had a bad experience towing so just wanted to get yall input and experience.

NXR71

Reaction score
Since you do not have the factory towing package you may or may not have the Tow/Haul button. It's not mandatory to tow but helps the vehicle adapt to the heavier load. If you have it, use it while towing.

1718642168941.png

Eevee14

Reaction score
No way; yea we don’t have that. The dealer only confirmed we have the ability to “ plug and play “ essentially. He gave us the part number we need.

We had a 2012 Hyundai Sonata a few years back that we towed a small little rack with some luggage and on the way back , engine blew just outside the state line. We were stuck in desert for a while lol. I’m traumatized with towing 😂

hjb

Reaction score
I have a 2020 LT, 1.5, FWD, and I tow a ~1500 lbs popup. We've averaged 1-2 400 mi trips around Michigan for the last few years and had no problems.

Without the tow package our hitch was installed below the bumper, its low enough that you may bump curbs from from time to time. I think I spent $300-400 for the hitch/wiring/install in the peak of the Pandemic.

Since its a turbo it can be a little slow to react when passing people on the highway, and it can be a little quick to downshift on hills, but overall its fine.

AmmoJoe

Reaction score
Newbie here.
2020 LS ( had a 2018 LT)
I have PTSD from trying to tow a small trailer on a Hyundai few years back but i doubt the car was made for towing anything.

My husband and i travel a lot and he wants to install a tow hitch so we can bring his Harley or a very small trailer. Has anyone towed with a LS, is it recommend, any advise? Thanks !
I’d like to make a suggestion. I installed a hitch on my 2019 LT and it does the job but I’d recommend getting the factory GM one. The rear bumper has to come off and be cut to allow the hitch to fit but it’s much higher off the ground. While I haven’t towed anything with it I am currently using it with one of those basket carriers and a bike rack simultaneously.

My issue with the aftermarket one is the height clearance. The hitch itself is fine but if I put anything into the hitch I will scrape coming out of my driveway. I used a hitch riser to try and avoid this issue but with the weight and the height of the stock receiver I still scrape it.

Billh

Reaction score
I have the dealer installed hitch on my 2024 LT AWD. a bit pricey but worth it to me.

Attachments

• 20240206 (6).JPG
    20240206 (6).JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240206 (7).JPG
    20240206 (7).JPG
    267.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240206 (8).JPG
    20240206 (8).JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240422 (4).JPG
    20240422 (4).JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240418 (2).JPG
    20240418 (2).JPG
    224.3 KB · Views: 7

PoManNox

Reaction score
How much does the harley and trailer weigh? Max trailer weight numbers never add up if you wanna go down that rabbit hole LOL.

Following GM's chart, they don't want you to exceed 5247 max gross combined weight for 2wd models or 5467 for AWD. The vehicle itself weighs ~4600. If they don't want you to exceed 5467 all-in, this leaves you with 867 lbs for all passengers, cargo, towing, etc..

I'd personally be OK with towing a ~1200lb trailer, with 2 light-ish passengers and light cargo with a 2018+ Equinox. Any more is too much to ask for this powertrain IMO.

FWIW, I have a brother-in-law who tows a harley on a trailer with his 2020 Nissan Rogue SV AWD. I've never heard him complain.

Lee

Reaction score
I have the dealer installed hitch on my 2024 LT AWD. a bit pricey but worth it to me.
My 2018 came from the factory with the Tow Haul option. I like the cover that hides the receiver when not in use.
Do all Equinox come with the removable cover or did you have to buy a new rear bumper cover?

NXR71

Reaction score
Following GM's chart, they don't want you to exceed 5247 max gross combined weight for 2wd models or 5467 for AWD. The vehicle itself weighs ~4600. If they don't want you to exceed 5467 all-in, this leaves you with 867 lbs for all passengers, cargo, towing, etc..

You may have mixed up GVWR with (curb weight + payload). Our 2020 Equinox Premier AWD with the 2.0L and 9-speed and every possible option CAT Scale'd at 3,950 with a full tank of fuel with my usual junk inside but no people inside. Mine is the heaviest model. The curb weight on the 2020 LS is between 200 and 400 lbs lighter than mine.

PoManNox

Reaction score
You may have mixed up GVWR with (curb weight + payload). Our 2020 Equinox Premier AWD with the 2.0L and 9-speed and every possible option CAT Scale'd at 3,950 with a full tank of fuel with my usual junk inside but no people inside. Mine is the heaviest model. The curb weight on the 2020 LS is between 200 and 400 lbs lighter than mine.
Crap, I did! I had to have read my door jamb label wrong. Thank you.

Billh

Reaction score
My 2018 came from the factory with the Tow Haul option. I like the cover that hides the receiver when not in use.
Do all Equinox come with the removable cover or did you have to buy a new rear bumper cover?
I was pleasantly surprised to find out the rear fascia already had the cut-out and cover.

Reactions: Lee

NXR71

Reaction score
Crap, I did! I had to have read my door jamb label wrong. Thank you.

Actually, I was pleasantly surprised to see you write that. Way too many people believe that the hitch capacity establishes how much a vehicle can safely tow 100% of the time and that almost is never the case. They probably were told that by a salesperson or read it in a sales brochure. :(

As you noted, there are multiple factors that need considered plus others you did not mention, such as:

• The SUV or truck wheelbase to trailer length

• The use of weight-distributing hitches (which are mentioned in many owner manuals as being needed to tow the up to the hitch rating but never explained)

• Safe towing speeds (which are not the interstate speed limit)

• The increased stopping distances and why a braking system on the trailer is mandatory even if not legally required. The physics of weight moving at high speeds does not care at all about man-made laws. And no, NO ONE actually tests their trailer braking system to see how effective it is; just that it's probably better than nothing.

• What you're towing. Towing a 3,000 lb boat on an open trailer is very different from towing a 3,000 lb trailer with tall walls that act like a sail and can have a lot more sway.

• The effect of tongue weight on the rear axle limits, often resulting in an overloaded rear axle. If you see a vehicle "squatting" when towing something it's pretty much guaranteed that the rear axle is overloaded, the vehicle itself may be overloaded, and the worst part: weight is lifted off the front tires due to the "lever effect". That makes the steering squirrely and the vehicle is just unstable to drive. Less weight on the front tires also means less braking power so the stopping distance will be even longer than they already are.

• Plus others

My single door sticker is attached. The VIN is listed on the right so I will assume that mine was weighed, or at least calculated based on options and other known weights. It would be interesting if someone with a 2020 Premier AWD 2.0L checked their label and showed exactly the same "must not exceed" value because that would be unlikely to me. As mine shows, put five 200-pounders in mine and the vehicle is overloaded.

I don't even have a door jamb label showing GAWR, GVWR, and GCWR. Those limitations are only found in the Owners Manual and we all know how often people read those...

Yet people say "I've got a 1,500 hitch and the lawyers always have a hidden safety margin so I can tow this 2,000 lb trailer, because I want to."

It's never a problem until it is, and that's why we see trailers rolled over or splattered on the side of the road with the towing vehicle hanging in the air while still connected to the overturned trailer. If a bad sway starts you might have one or maybe two seconds to get it stopped before control is lost.

1719410002680.png

Last edited:

Lee

Reaction score
My single door sticker is attached. The VIN is listed on the right so I will assume that mine was weighed, or at least calculated based on options and other known weights. It would be interesting if someone with a 2020 Premier AWD 2.0L checked their label and showed exactly the same "must not exceed" value because that would be unlikely to me. As mine shows, put five 200-pounders in mine and the vehicle is overloaded.

I don't even have a door jamb label showing GAWR, GVWR, and GCWR. Those limitations are only found in the Owners Manual and we all know how often people read those...
I have a 2018 Premier AWD 2.0
My sticker shows 1000 pounds.

I have a silver sticker that shows the GVWR is 4,850 pounds

Page 270 of my manual
2.0L Gas with V92
Trailering Provisions
1 590 kg (3,505 lb) 3 490 kg (7,694 lb)
† For trailers without trailer brakes the maximum trailer weight is 454 kg
(1,000 lb). See Towing Equipment 0 271.
* The Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) is the total allowable
weight of the completely loaded vehicle and trailer including any
passengers, cargo, equipment, and conversions. Do not exceed the
GCWR for the vehicle.

Page 209 and 210 cover Load Limits in the car.

Last edited:

PoManNox

Reaction score
Interesting stuff. Per that tire loading info sticker on my 2021 LT AWD model, it says 1105lbs. So I assume if I take the GVWR of 4630 and subtract 1105 from it, my vehicle should weigh about 3525lbs.

Hey @Eevee14, aren't ya glad you posted? LOL

NXR71

Reaction score
I stand corrected. I found my sticker at the very bottom of the "B" pillar, the vertical column between the front and rear seats, previously covered in dirt...

GCWR from the Owners Manual = 7,694 lbs
GVWR from the sticker - 4,850 lbs
Front axle GAWR - 2,590 lbs
Rear axle GAWR - 2,645 lbs
Maximum occupant and cargo weight - 970 lbs

2020 Premier 2.0L AWD with factory V92 towing package.

Let's do the math to see if I could ever safely tow 3,500 lbs and not overload the vehicle. HINT: Not a chance.

GCWR minus GVWR = 2,844 lbs

3,500 lbs, the purported towing capacity, minus 2,844 lbs = 656 lbs

Since (GCWR minus GVWR) is less than 3,500 lbs, the alleged towing capacity, the extra 656 pounds must be "stolen" from the allowed occupant and cargo weight of 970 lbs.

970 lbs is greater than 656 lbs, fortunately.

970 minus 656 = 314 lbs.

In order to not exceed GCWR all of my stuff and people could not exceed 314 lbs, just under 1/3rd of what the "maximum occupants and cargo" sticker shows, IF I wanted to actually tow 3,500 lbs horizontally. So maybe one "American-sized" adult could be in the car.

But that's not all we need to look at.

I could not tow 3,500 lbs if I was trying to tow a ball hitch trailer.

Why? Because the tongue weight needed for a stable "bumper pull" trailer is 10% to 15% of the actual trailer weight and tongue weight is considered cargo weight. (Tongue weight is how much vertical force the tongue of the trailer pushes down on the ball with.)

10% of the 3,500 lbs is 350 lbs, the tongue weight rating of the hitch. That 350 lbs must be added to the actual "occupant and cargo" weight, which is only 314 lbs allowable so I would be overloaded even with no one and nothing inside my Equinox. That means it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to safely tow 3,500 lbs ever.

If the tongue weight was 15%, which is more desirable than 10% for a stable tow experience, the maximum trailer weight could only be 2,333 lbs

2,333 times 0.15 = 349.95 lbs, which is close enough to call 350 lbs, the tongue weight limit of the hitch.

BUT...that 350 lbs still needs to come off the 970 lbs of occupant and cargo carrying capacity. Fortunately, since (GCWR minus GVWR) of 2,844 lbs is greater than 2,333 lbs we do not need to steal capacity from the occupants and cargo; we can use the full 970 lbs for that, sort of. Remember, tongue weight is considered to be cargo.

970 lbs sticker minus 350 lbs tongue weight = 620 lbs of actual allowable cargo and occupants. That's not a horrible number.

Realistically, since tongue weight is a variable based on how the trailer actually is loaded, my safe trailer weight should not exceed 2,500 lbs and preferably be closer to 2,000 lbs actual weight in order to not be overloaded.

Interestingly, U-Haul's web site shows that the maximum trailer weight for all versions of the 2020 Equinox is 1,650 lbs. They claim they base that on the curb weight but they got that 200 lbs low for my version without any options. (With my options the U-Haul curb weight number actually is about 400 lbs low.) See the pic, please.

I suspect that's part of it but they also know that people don't weigh things so they provide a hefty safety margin.

Wait, what, you ask? Many Equinoxi only have a 1,500 lb hitch, not a 3,500 hitch, you say? Because the manual says your towing capacity is only 1,500 lbs?

Hmmm.

Page 260 of the Owners Manual says this: Do not exceed a maximum trailer tongue weight of 159 kg (350 lb).

But, but, but the tongue weight rating of a hitch is almost always 10% of the hitch rating. For a 1,500 lb hitch the tongue weight limit should be 150 lbs, not 350 lbs!

So how the heck does a 1,500 lb rated hitch have a tongue weight rating of 350 lbs instead of 150 lbs?

I'd bet that Chevy installs the same hitch on all versions of the Equinox and limits the allowable trailer weight in the manual due to engine and transmission limitations. But I don't know for certain because I don't have a Chevy parts manual.

I won't even get into whether the rear axle gross axle weight rating of 2,645 lbs would be exceeded. That's pretty much impossible to calculate. The car would need to be driven on to a CAT Scale with one axle on each scale platform to determine that.

Clear as mud, eh? :(

Oh, and if I got any of the math wrong please feel free to point it out, if you happened to even read this far. :)

U-Haul Tow Limit - 2.0L Equinox.PNG

Last edited:

Members online