Newbie with timing issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey Max, Apologies for the radio silence. Been on the road for work the past couple of weeks with limited connectivity.
Car is running as planned with one exception. Before the exception, had a bad mechanical knock when all was assembled and took it about 15 miles. No codes. Thought it was a rod knock at first but turns out 4 lifters lost their lift so went through the process of removing the head, replacing all lifters and clearing all the oil passages as a precaution. Went back together and then drove 100 miles to reset everything without issue other than a slight slip 2nd to 3rd. Did a tranny fluid change (not a full flush) and tranny was down about 2 quarts once we completed it. Cured the slip and drove the car for couple hundred miles. Next trip it started doing something odd. It idles in the 750rpm range and when in drive and stopped at a light, it would idle steady but car would try to surge forward and vibrate. Shifting to neutral solves it but very strange action since the RPMs are healthy and no codes show up. Oil is topped off and fresh, engine sounds fine it just does this randomly when engine is warmed up. Not sure if the torque converter is not sensing the full stop in drive or some other issue. Have not dug too deep yet but need to.
I have not had to handle the P0446 evap code issue so not sure i can offer any input on this one. Don't want to send you spinning in the wrong direction.
Hi, regarding your P0446 issue from an earlier post.
I replaced the timing chain and various parts associated with the timing. Had good luck with my engine repair. I also had the P0446 code. I found the pigtail to the valve in the canister was broken/rusted off. I bought a new pigtail and spliced it in and it worked fine after that. Something for you to check. Bob

Members online