Headasket kit / recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Revvingchevy

Reaction score
I'm going to need a headgasket replacement. Can anyone recommend a good kit to purchase - get a good quality kit online and save some $ - cheaper than Napa?

Revvingchevy

Reaction score
What are your symptoms? I’ve done 11 head gasket jobs but never only an intake gasket job. The 09 I just got is using coolant but not overheating. It has no external coolant leaks. A full kit with head bolts is $70 approx and intake gaskets alone are about 35. I might just do intake gaskets and see what happens.
The felpro steel gaskets are preferred but the plastic rib style are ok. Most kits have plastic rib gaskets. I wonder if the cheap kits steel intake gaskets say felpro or are not marked?
Thanks for responding I appreciate it. My symptoms were overheating / losing coolant when under load, like going uphill and highway speeds. When first starting out it ran normal but on the first uphill (load) it started to overheat. I used a bottle of heavy duty rislone and it has since been driven about 500 miles without overheating. But I'd like to get it fixed. When I put in the rislone and let it idle, the white smoke slowly decreased then about disappeared. This made me suspect exhaust gas leaking into and overheating the coolant. What do you think? Yes Felpro probably best.

Revvingchevy

Reaction score
I do about 2 rigs per year. I lose track of specific issues after awhile. Did car #3 do this and not that. What did car #7 do? I’ve gotten ones with NO coolant in radiator. When the headgasket fails it can pressurize cooling system and push out coolant and yes you will overheat with low coolant. It can also leak coolant into combustion chamber and you can burn it and also end up with low coolant.
It is common to see 1 or 2 piston tops with no carbon as the coolant leak washes the piston top. You could use a bore scope to inspect cyls prior to pulling heads.
Seller on my latest one said they had shop do coolant sniff test and it failed for hydrocarbons. And it is using coolant.
It has 98k and it is super clean.
Been driving for several weeks. Runs fine. No overheating.
Rislone hyper cool? I don’t think that is intended for stopping combustion chamber gasket leaks.
I’ve seen some nasty gaskets. Big chunks missing.
I think my gasket is both exhaust games heating the coolant? And some burimg off in one or two cylinders. Because I had a little white smoke at idle, but not really noticeable while driving down the road so maybe a smaller leak into one or two cylinders. I imagine the exhaust heat would expand it and it has to go somewhere so it finds its way into a combustion chamber or two. I was able to limp it home when it went bad (20 miles from home) and it would start to overheat when going uphill. I used Rislone heavy duty. It doesn't require any coolant drain. Just dump it in, top up the reservoir then idle until it gets to operating temperature. Then they say shut it off let it cool overnight. Then the next morning start it and idle it at 1800 for 20 minutes then shut it off again
I followed those instructions (changed oil immediately after) then drove it 500 miles so far no issues, but driving it gently as in not flooring it.

Edit - it has around 135000 miles

Thanks

Sounds like I need a real Felpro kit

Revvingchevy

Reaction score
I won't be doing this repair but maybe I can get in there beforehand and soak fasteners with pbblaster to make it easier for my local mechanic. Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.