Engine misfire codes - P0300 & P0304

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sdhow

Reaction score
2010 Equinox with a 3.0 V6 VVT GDI...

I'm at my bitter end. First, the engine was out of the car to do a complete timing chain replacement; sprockets, phasers, tensioners, etc. All camshaft sensors and solenoids, coils, spark plugs, crankshaft position sensor, MAP sensor, throttle body, were replaced. Heads were removed to inspect valves for damage and a valve job done; everything cleaned including piston tops and valve stem seals replaced. Compression and Leakdown tests performed and verified that specs were close to (160 psi) as new.

After completed, engine threw code P0304. Pulled fuel rails and replaced all injectors on bank 2, replaced injector seals on bank 1. Still throws P0304 and occasionally P0300. Intermittently runs rough at idle, but not under load.

Took it to the GM dealer and they said it was a bad ECM. Put a new ECM in and programmed it...$1,200 later and they said "Oops, we were wrong..." They claimed there was fuel in the oil. Took the #4 injector to a shop with a test bench and they confirmed the injector is working fine, no leakage. After 2 weeks of sitting at the dealership, I had no confidence in their ability to diagnose the problem.

Could it be the high pressure fuel pump? I didn't think this could only affect one cylinder (#4) with a bad pump, but...

Thoughts???

Last edited:

Members online