What actually stop spinning in the drivetrain when AWD is off on the new 2025 models?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

penright

Reaction score
The subject is pretty much my question. What actually stop spinning in the drivetrain when AWD is off on the new 2025 models?

This thread https://www.chevyequinoxforum.com/threads/does-the-driveshaft-turn-when-awd-is-off.4347/ and it references this one https://www.chevyequinoxforum.com/threads/awd-button.3860/ I guess one could ask is the 2025 AWD drivetrain the same as 2024? Then, assuming they are correct, would answer the questions.

When I was test-driving our 2025, I could feel a drag when I had AWD on, so I assumed something was happening. I also wonder what the different AWD modes change.

One of the threads had an idea of recording using your phone as you dive over it. May have to try that.

This is from the back looking toward the front.
The arrow is differential and the line is the driveshaft. (I wish I had looked to see if there were any switch wires on it)
1728679662625.png

Front looking toward the back.
The arrow is transmission and the line is the driveshaft
1728679799433.png

Last edited:

PoManNox

Reaction score
Any thread on a 2018+ seems to be all over the map on this topic. I believe those under pics of a 2025 look like my 2021.

Having been all over the drivetrain on my 2021 LT AWD model changing fluids, the facts are, there is an electronic front axle disconnect on 2018+ and a clutch at the input of the rear carrier. With all 4 wheels on the ground and AWD not turned on, you should be able to spin the prop shaft by hand. It basically free-wheels.

The input gearing on the transfer case is going to be spinning any time the front wheels are rolling, regardless of AWD on or not, same with the rear carrier/diff.

When you select AWD, the front axle disconnect engages and puts power to the transfer case, causing the prop shaft to be under power. If front wheel slip is detected, the electronically actuated wet clutch at the input of the rear diff engages, sending power to the rear wheels.

penright

Reaction score
This question reminds me of the "Does the light go out in the refrigerator when the door is closed"?

I have video proof for 2025, no it does not rotate. I could also rotate it by hand when the car was in park.

Exciting footage :)

Members online

No members online now.