What 35K mile ATF looks like on a 2021 Equinox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PoManNox

Reaction score
I did a series of drain/fills on my new to me 2021 Chevy equinox LT AWD at 35K miles. This vehicle was a lease return with regular dealer service and oil changes every 5K miles per the car fax. I've done a lot of ATF changes in my day and I believe this was the darkest, nastiest looking transmission fluid I've seen. In went ~4.5qts of Castrol Transmax Universal ATF/CVT fluid which is a full synthetic suitable for Dex VI use fluid. I've used this fluid with great success in my other Dex VI GM products, which is why I went with it. If you guys haven't changed your ATF. You'll want to. I believe the popular aftermarket ATF for GM Dex VI applications is typically Mobil 1 synthetic blue label Dex VI. Gotta be the blue label for what ever reason.

NoxATF.jpgNoxATF1.jpgNoxATF2.jpg

Last edited:

BDCEquinox

Reaction score
100% confirm this is what GM factory fill transmission fluid looks like. I've done a few vehicles with relatively low miles (around 50k) and every one the conventional Dex VI stuff looked pure black just like this. I ended up using the ACDelco Full Synthetic Dex VI stuff and after doing a 9 qt drain/fill/drive cycle, it still has a red hue each service.

So yeah, I agree with OP, this should be done. Upgrade the fluid to Full Synthetic, even if you do it right after you buy it/brand new.

PoManNox

Reaction score
100% confirm this is what GM factory fill transmission fluid looks like. I've done a few vehicles with relatively low miles (around 50k) and every one the conventional Dex VI stuff looked pure black just like this. I ended up using the ACDelco Full Synthetic Dex VI stuff and after doing a 9 qt drain/fill/drive cycle, it still has a red hue each service.

So yeah, I agree with OP, this should be done. Upgrade the fluid to Full Synthetic, even if you do it right after you buy it/brand new.
I ran ~13 quarts of Castrol Transmax Universal through it at this point and installed my magnetic drain plug on it for the last go-around. I'm not going to be happy until I do one more drain/fill soon. From then on, I'll probably do a drain/fill once a year or every 15-20K miles.

Next up is a transfer case and rear diff drain/fill. I'm sure the T-case looks bad. Then in another month or so, I'll undercoat the beast with woolwax and get the cavities with fluid film.

BDCEquinox

Reaction score
I ran ~13 quarts of Castrol Transmax Universal through it at this point and installed my magnetic drain plug on it for the last go-around. I'm not going to be happy until I do one more drain/fill soon. From then on, I'll probably do a drain/fill once a year or every 15-20K miles.

Next up is a transfer case and rear diff drain/fill. I'm sure the T-case looks bad. Then in another month or so, I'll undercoat the beast with woolwax and get the cavities with fluid film.
Yeah that's what I did. Did the 3x fluid exchange to get it mostly new, then just switched to a 3 qt ish drain/fill every 45k miles.

djlpm

Reaction score
What size is the mag drain plug? I've got a 2020 fwd 1.5l.

Thx in advance,

DJLPM

PoManNox

Reaction score
It's Votex part number DP034

They are a 1/8"-27 NPT plug.

I'd have to double check, but I believe the hex head on them is 11mm.

They are $25 shipped on the amazon machine. Not cheap.

djlpm

Reaction score
PoMaNox: Last question...does the Votex need a washer? I'm guessing no.

PoManNox

Reaction score
PoMaNox: Last question...does the Votex need a washer? I'm guessing no.
No, these are pipe threads. You can use liquid thread sealants or tape on them if you want to.

Last edited:

Viehweger

Reaction score
Damn! I know what my next project is.. I've got 3 equinoxes from '18 to '22, an '18 trax, and a '15 cruze.. at this point I'm going to leave the Cruze be. Might do more harm that good with over 100k miles on it. lol

PoManNox

Reaction score
Damn! I know what my next project is.. I've got 3 equinoxes from '18 to '22, an '18 trax, and a '15 cruze.. at this point I'm going to leave the Cruze be. Might do more harm that good with over 100k miles on it. lol
I wound up doing a 4th drain/fill to my 2021 Equinox yesterday at 38100 miles. My votex magnetic drain plug was weeping ever so slightly and I didn't want to tighten it anymore. I wanted to remove it an apply teflon tape. The drained fluid was STILL much darker than I like to see. I used Valvoline Maxlife ATF this time as a scored a 3 gallon jug box of it off amazon for ~$55. I have essentially a mix of Castrol Transmax universal and Valvoline Maxlife in there now.

My votex magnetic drain plug for the transmission had a glob of metallic goo on it with ~3K miles of use.

I wouldn't hesitate to do some drain/fills on your 2015 Cruize if you intend to keep it as long as possible. My 2015 malibu didn't see it's first drain/fill until ~80K miles when I bought it 1.5 years ago. She's pretty beat, but the ATF is clean as a whistle. It currently has ~~92K on it.

Members online