Weird noise in 2025

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VfromOKC

Reaction score
HI all. I am new to the Equinox world. I just traded in a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited for a 2025 Equinox RS. I'm loving a lot of the features so far but there are a few weird things that I've noticed in the week since I've had it.
I've noticed when I'm traveling around 35-45 mph and have the driver window slightly cracked, there is a loud "whomping" sound that comes from the passenger side area. I can't pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from, whether it's the windows or windshield. When I roll up the window it's stops, but its quite loud when it starts its "whomp whomp" sound. At first I thought it was the tires making the noise but think I've ruled that out as I only hear it when the driver's window is cracked. I only bought this last week and I've been so busy at work that I have not had time to go back to the dealership, but plan to do that Monday to see if they can give me any insight on this weird noise. Has anyone else with a 2025 noticed this?
Also in that same speed range, if I am in stop and go traffic, the car seems to struggle to shift properly. Like the rpm's will idle high around 35mph and I have to try to gas it to get to the next gear to try to get it back down or brake and go slower. IDK, maybe this is normal for a 4 cylinder car? It's been over 10 years since I've driven a 4 cylinder. The V6 in the Jeep was a smooth ride, smooth shifting, it was a great car but kept having electrical problems so wanted to get rid of it. These new Equinox seemed comparable in features, but coming from such a smooth driving and riding Jeep, I'm finding this to be a rougher and louder ride. And this is just ranting, but the sound system in this Equinox is god awful. Maybe I got spoiled by the Bose in the Jeep with the built in subs, but this is so so bad. Honestly if I would've tested that out better when I was test driving I probably wouldn't have bought it based on the sound system alone.
Anyways, anyone else with a 2025 notice the "whomping" or weird shifting?? Thanks!

PoManNox

Reaction score
With the whomping sounds, try rolling an additional window down along with the driver's window to see if the sound stops. What you describe sounds like typical cabin air pressure buffeting noise you will get in most cars if you crack or roll down just one window. Most vehicles do this. Try to roll just a rear or both rear windows and I can almost guarantee the whomping noise will be unbearably loud.

In terms of the acceleration and shifting thing, give it some time. You've got an all new 8spd automatic in your 2025, where the previous gens had a 6spd or 9spd. Your new 2025 may just take some getting used to.

VfromOKC

Reaction score
Thank you. I guess I failed to mention, this is definitely not the typical sound that most vehicles make when one window is down, it actually did it to me when I was out on my lunch break today and rolled down the passenger window and it kept doing it. Also is weird that it does it when the window is just slightly cracked, not even all the way down. I've never heard anything like this before in any car I have driven so it's throwing me for a loop. Thanks though!

bagbyjw

Reaction score
I also have the whomping noise on my 2022 when any windows are just cracked or opened, especially the rear ones. I have to have a rear window opened 1/2 way to cancel the air pressure whomping noise.

ricklack

Reaction score
I'd take it to the dealer and demonstrate to them, this does not sound normal.

As for the audio, you should have upgraded to the Bose system. I would guess Bose is still available on the 2025? It is usally packed with other upgrades in a package. My 2022 RS has Bose and it is far superior to the Pioneer premium system I had in my 2013 Nox. A friend of mine got a 2024 RS without the Bose and he is not thrilled.

EDIT - I looked at the 25 build site and find there is no audio upgrade! How strange ..... another reason for me not to get one.

Last edited:

VfromOKC

Reaction score
I'd take it to the dealer and demonstrate to them, this does not sound normal.

As for the audio, you should have upgraded to the Bose system. I would guess Bose is still available on the 2025? It is usally packed with other upgrades in a package. My 2022 RS has Bose and it is far superior to the Pioneer premium system I had in my 2013 Nox. A friend of mine got a 2024 RS without the Bose and he is not thrilled.

EDIT - I looked at the 25 build site and find there is no audio upgrade! How strange ..... another reason for me not to get one.
I talked to my salesman earlier and am going to take it in Monday to see if I can demonstrate the weird noise. And yes, a few days after I bought it I called to ask about the sound system and was told they couldn't upgrade. Really bummed about that.

Members online

No members online now.