Water Leak- Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nmaestro

Reaction score
Good morning,

So we had a bad storm in New York. We got a lot of rain.

Our 2020 Chevy Equinox Premier (with panoramic roof) with only 20k miles seems to have a water leak.

The tire compartment was filled with water and turned into a fish tank.

We did notice that the rear compartment fuse panel was wet as well.

We have an appointment with the dealer in one week.

Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks in advance!

RadioHead

Reaction score
I have questions:
Any evidence it leaked from the panoramic roof?

Any evidence it leaked from the rear hatch?

From what you said that the spare tire compartment was a "fish tank" I'd say the leak is closer to the rear hatch area, and with that much water you should see a stain or evidence of water leaking into it.

Has the car been in an accident that could compromise the seals at the rear hatch or panoramic roof?

Being a 2020 vehicle I'm not sure it's still under any sort of warranty, but that is pretty bad and the dealer may need to fix. If not you need to figure out where the leak is and repair it. The panoramic roof you could take to a sunroof shop if needed. If it's the rear hatch you may need a new gasket. It could be torn or worn. Seems odd for a newer car but if it sits outside it could take a toll on it.

Good luck.

nmaestro

Reaction score
I have questions:
Any evidence it leaked from the panoramic roof?

Any evidence it leaked from the rear hatch?

From what you said that the spare tire compartment was a "fish tank" I'd say the leak is closer to the rear hatch area, and with that much water you should see a stain or evidence of water leaking into it.

Has the car been in an accident that could compromise the seals at the rear hatch or panoramic roof?

Being a 2020 vehicle I'm not sure it's still under any sort of warranty, but that is pretty bad and the dealer may need to fix. If not you need to figure out where the leak is and repair it. The panoramic roof you could take to a sunroof shop if needed. If it's the rear hatch you may need a new gasket. It could be torn or worn. Seems odd for a newer car but if it sits outside it could take a toll on it.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply.

I did see water around the tailgate when I opened.

I didn't see any evidence of a water leak from ceiling.

Yes, the car is still under warranty. It has never been in an accident.

I just find it very strange the water got into the rear quarter panel on driver side wetting fuse box. There really is only one way that could happen...rear quarter panel window. Unless there is some sort of drain tube from the sunroof on that side?

I'm hoping someone could share a similar experience.

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
I suffered with a very similar issue with mine. The dealer cleaned it twice and said the only thing they could see was that the drains were clogged. after both cleanings, it leaked at the first rain. I took my shark fin off and sealed it, it was leaking, but not the main cause. I put clear vehicle wrap over my sunroof and it didn't leak a drop. I have since removed it and filled the seal and the space around the sunroof with clear silicone. If you have a photo of the wet fuse box, please report the issue to the NHTSA. It is a safety issue and maybe if enough people report it, it will be a recall.

RadioHead

Reaction score
Good advice from Vern.

It's hard to imagine that much water came in and you can't see it. Unless it came in from a leak down lower that can fill the fuse box and tire compartment.

Since it's under warranty still I'd take it in and make sure they find the cause and fix it. If anything happens down the road and you're out of warranty you have no recourse. Also if you do something GM doesn't approve on first then take it in, they'll blame you for a sub-par repair.

I'd try the dealer first after all you have the warranty use it. If they can't fix it properly after a couple times you can try Vern's method and look at filing a claim with GM and NHTSA as a safety issue.

PoManNox

Reaction score
That's a great call putting plastic over the sunroof to see if the water stops. You could probably do it with some painters tape and any type of plastic if you had to.

I've seen a few threads where water was found around that rear left corner fusebox. You pretty much have to camp out in the back while someone runs water over the vehicle and in the wheel well to troubleshoot that one. Leaks almost never come from down low, but anything is possible.

nmaestro

Reaction score
I suffered with a very similar issue with mine. The dealer cleaned it twice and said the only thing they could see was that the drains were clogged. after both cleanings, it leaked at the first rain. I took my shark fin off and sealed it, it was leaking, but not the main cause. I put clear vehicle wrap over my sunroof and it didn't leak a drop. I have since removed it and filled the seal and the space around the sunroof with clear silicone. If you have a photo of the wet fuse box, please report the issue to the NHTSA. It is a safety issue and maybe if enough people report it, it will be a recall.
Thanks for the reply Vern. Yes, I did take pictures and videos. Can you post a picture of how you sealed the sunroof? Is your roof panoramic?

nmaestro

Reaction score
Good advice from Vern.

It's hard to imagine that much water came in and you can't see it. Unless it came in from a leak down lower that can fill the fuse box and tire compartment.

Since it's under warranty still I'd take it in and make sure they find the cause and fix it. If anything happens down the road and you're out of warranty you have no recourse. Also if you do something GM doesn't approve on first then take it in, they'll blame you for a sub-par repair.

I'd try the dealer first after all you have the warranty use it. If they can't fix it properly after a couple times you can try Vern's method and look at filing a claim with GM and NHTSA as a safety issue.
Thanks for the heads up.

nmaestro

Reaction score
Yeah, I've been studying this for a little bit. I think the Equinox has four sunroof drain. In the rear, I only see one drain tube going into the wheel well on the passenger side.

So, I'm still puzzled how the driver side rear and fuse box got wet. The only thing I can think of is the driver side rear quarter panel window?

I found this:

Last edited:

Moonwink

Reaction score
Use a garden hose to douse the area where you think the leak is and see what happens. Then seal the area with the wrap to see if it stops so you can pin-point the leak.

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Vern. Yes, I did take pictures and videos. Can you post a picture of how you sealed the sunroof? Is your roof panoramic?
Not much to see. I used clear gorilla silicone caulk. You can see by the photo that I need to fill the outer edge of the seal. The clear wrap was 3m clear. It looked great, but long term it would not hold up since it was stretched over the gap. Something is wrong with the seal, but the dealer didn't want to admit it. the entire sunroof assembly would need to be replaced. My leak is when the water comes over the drain trough. It has stained my headliner too. Before i sealed it, you could pop the headliner down in the back and you would see water running everyplace. on a side note the shark fin was never installed properly on my car. On the inside it has a plastic square, a metal cage and a bolt. The plastic square was missing and the fin would let water in. I fixed that.

Attachments

• 20240820_200522.jpg
    20240820_200522.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 5

nmaestro

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Vern.

I hope that the dealer, under warranty, will fix the issue.

We actually like our 2020 Premier and don't want to get rid of it.

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Vern.

I hope that the dealer, under warranty, will fix the issue.

We actually like our 2020 Premier and don't want to get rid of it.
I hope they fix it, too! I love my 2018 premier other than he sunroof. It's quick, fun to drive, comfortable, and roomy.

Flash

Reaction score
Join the club and the reason we did not buy one.

When we test drove one at the dealership and I did a hard turn with it, we heard water sloshing about. I pulled over and the floor in the back seat area had a good amount of water. I was told at the dealership that it had rained really hard the day before and maybe someone left the sunroof open. That was one reason we did not buy it, the other, it was a diesel.

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
Join the club and the reason we did not buy one.

When we test drove one at the dealership and I did a hard turn with it, we heard water sloshing about. I pulled over and the floor in the back seat area had a good amount of water. I was told at the dealership that it had rained really hard the day before and maybe someone left the sunroof open. That was one reason we did not buy it, the other, it was a diesel.
It's sad that they can't build it better. My son drives an 04 liberty. The sunroof in that thing doesn't leak after 20 years.

nmaestro

Reaction score
Very strange...

I washed it a few days ago and couldn't see any leaks.

smitfitter

Reaction score
I'm not sure about this year but I have a 2014 Equinox. Same thing with the tire well. I did some research and was told to check behind the left side tail light lens. The manufacturer put what appeared to be a piece of Duck tape over a hole that goes in to the fender. The tape dries out and peels back allowing water to drain into the hatch. I covered the hole and the problem was gone. Not sure if this will be of any help on a 2020 but thought I would throw it out there. Good luck. I have found dealerships to not be very helpful.

theskyisoutthere

Reaction score
The taillight holes will always leak the tape breaks down. Everyone I know around me that as an equinox with that hole cover they all leaked. Easy fix take light out, go to hardware store and get the rubbery back stick on flashing (it's kinda like a thin aluminum foil with sticking rubbery tar stuff but not tar. ). Put it in warm with a heat gun to be sure it sticks and it will last forever.

bagbyjw

Reaction score
I'm not sure about this year but I have a 2014 Equinox. Same thing with the tire well. I did some research and was told to check behind the left side tail light lens. The manufacturer put what appeared to be a piece of Duck tape over a hole that goes in to the fender. The tape dries out and peels back allowing water to drain into the hatch. I covered the hole and the problem was gone. Not sure if this will be of any help on a 2020 but thought I would throw it out there. Good luck. I have found dealerships to not be very helpful.
Can you post picture of where this hole is please, Thanks

Latest posts