Used 2023 LT - 600 mile review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jkumbalek

Reaction score
Hi Group,

First off, I really enjoy this group and can’t wait to order my Chevyequinoxforum sticker. On that note, I reached 600 miles in the last three weeks and wanted to give a quick assessment:

- I like the power, I know it’s low but it fits my needs and I went in knowing that it wasn’t a strong performer. Would I like more power, yes absolutely, but do I feel like it’s underpowered, No.
- My main gripe is with the OEM speakers, I really need to look at upgrading and would look to the group for any great options that works for you.
- I find it comfortable and for the most part, quiet. The acoustic windshield helps keep it quiet but I noticed today that I get a lot of highway noise through the doors. Any ideas?
- I’m using Shell regular 86 octane (high altitude) and am getting approx. 30 mpg. Do any of you know if going mid grade 88 would help with gas mileage? I’ll take 30 mpg all day as my 2014 Ford Fusion got only 24.5 mpg average so I’m not unhappy, just wondering.
- The infotainment system along with Apple CarPlay keeps me happy, I enjoy the whole interior and entertainment systems (minus the OEM speakers)
- I’m trying really hard to like OnStar but after my three month trial, I don’t know if I can continue it. Sell me on OnStar or tell me how you feel about OnStart.

I could continue but overall, I love my 2023 equinox LT. Please share best practices in making the experience even better if you have them!

Jerome

PoManNox

Reaction score
I've only had my 2021 Equinox LT AWD a few weeks and put about 1000 miles on it, but I agree with every one of you points. My much more basic 2021 Traverse LS AWD has much richer sound from it's basic sounds system, but that could be due to cabin space, etc.

I do basically zero city driving, so my average MPG tank to tank, hand calculated is more like 31-32mpg so far.

I bought mine used from a Mazda dealer and mercifully, they didn't even mention onstar. They pushed it HARD when I bought our 2021 Traverse from a Buick/GMC/Caddy dealer 5 months ago. Sales guy told me it was a "legal thing" that I had to sign up for the free trail while I was waiting at the dealership. LOL!! Of course I didn't..

jkumbalek

Reaction score
I've only had my 2021 Equinox LT AWD a few weeks and put about 1000 miles on it, but I agree with every one of you points. My much more basic 2021 Traverse LS AWD has much richer sound from it's basic sounds system, but that could be due to cabin space, etc.

I do basically zero city driving, so my average MPG tank to tank, hand calculated is more like 31-32mpg so far.

I bought mine used from a Mazda dealer and mercifully, they didn't even mention onstar. They pushed it HARD when I bought our 2021 Traverse from a Buick/GMC/Caddy dealer 5 months ago. Sales guy told me it was a "legal thing" that I had to sign up for the free trail while I was waiting at the dealership. LOL!! Of course I didn't..
Thanks for the reply, I’ll play around with my sound a bit more. As for OnStar, I’m hoping someone can actually point out the benefits that makes it worth it but right now, I believe I’ll be canceling it after the trial period!

ricklack

Reaction score
Hi Group,

First off, I really enjoy this group and can’t wait to order my Chevyequinoxforum sticker. On that note, I reached 600 miles in the last three weeks and wanted to give a quick assessment:

- I like the power, I know it’s low but it fits my needs and I went in knowing that it wasn’t a strong performer. Would I like more power, yes absolutely, but do I feel like it’s underpowered, No.
- My main gripe is with the OEM speakers, I really need to look at upgrading and would look to the group for any great options that works for you.
- I find it comfortable and for the most part, quiet. The acoustic windshield helps keep it quiet but I noticed today that I get a lot of highway noise through the doors. Any ideas?
- I’m using Shell regular 86 octane (high altitude) and am getting approx. 30 mpg. Do any of you know if going mid grade 88 would help with gas mileage? I’ll take 30 mpg all day as my 2014 Ford Fusion got only 24.5 mpg average so I’m not unhappy, just wondering.
- The infotainment system along with Apple CarPlay keeps me happy, I enjoy the whole interior and entertainment systems (minus the OEM speakers)
- I’m trying really hard to like OnStar but after my three month trial, I don’t know if I can continue it. Sell me on OnStar or tell me how you feel about OnStart.

I could continue but overall, I love my 2023 equinox LT. Please share best practices in making the experience even better if you have them!

Jerome
1) I agree, I had the 3.6 in my 2013 so it was a bigger change, but I adapted a lot easier than expected. Of course, your 2023 has 5 more ponies than my 22 lol

2) I have the Bose system, so don't have this issue, it kicks ass. Better than the 2013 premium audio, which was Pioneer. I find the upgrade worth the cost.

3) I also get some wind noise from the doors, high quality silicone rubber lube does help. Always a good idea to use this, especially in colder climates. For sure before winter hits and at least once more during the year- you can't overdo using this. GM sells it, I don't have the part number as I buy it from local parts store. I forget which brand I currently have. The simple act of keeping the seals around the doors clean helps, when I wash the car I am sure to cleans the seals. Keep in mind that there are seals on both the doors themselves, and on the door frames as well.

4) I have an unpopular opinion on this, but I use premium top tier gas religiously, and am convinced I have more pep and better mileage. I started doing this about 5,000km as I found ice at the top of my filler tube and was afraid maybe some moisture had gotten down the tube into the gas. When i saw my mpg go up, and the engine seemed to have more power, I stuck with it. This was also around the time the manual says it should be done learning driving patterns etc, so I could be all wet on this.

I just made a trip through NY and PA mountains and got @ 33 mpg overall. I am of the belief that the extra additives in both top tier, and then premium has even more on top of that, help keep the internals and injectors cleaner. In DI engines I think this is important. If you have a Costco nearby, they are top tier and their price for premium is an even bigger savings than regular, they don't upcharge as much from reg to prem. Basically I pay for premium only a few cents more than regular at other place. Works for me, I can afford it and see no reason to switch back. On trips I look for Shell V-power or Sunoco 94.

5) I like the infotainment and prefer to use Android Auto over the built in Nav, as AA has real time traffic updates.

6) Built in Nav would have real time updates as well, if you pay for Onstar. I canceled it after 3 month trial as I didn't see the usefulness. If I ever get in an accident and need help, I will push that button. If they fail to send help and I survive, I will suit the crap out of em!

I had concerns about the seats as they seemed much firmer than my 2013, but everyone loves them, including me. My brother in law has arthritis etc and is rarely comfortable. We went on a 4 hour trip, he got out and was amazed at how good he felt after the trip and raved abut how comfortable the ride was. I would suspect the seat frames would be the same for cloth as my leather seats, I could be wrong. Maybe mine could have other improvements beside the leather?

As far as best practices go, change oil 3-5k miles - if the oil looks dirty, you need to increase oil change interval. The better you treat your car, the better it will treat you - usually lol

jkumbalek

Reaction score
1) I agree, I had the 3.6 in my 2013 so it was a bigger change, but I adapted a lot easier than expected. Of course, your 2023 has 5 more ponies than my 22 lol

2) I have the Bose system, so don't have this issue, it kicks ass. Better than the 2013 premium audio, which was Pioneer. I find the upgrade worth the cost.

3) I also get some wind noise from the doors, high quality silicone rubber lube does help. Always a good idea to use this, especially in colder climates. For sure before winter hits and at least once more during the year- you can't overdo using this. GM sells it, I don't have the part number as I buy it from local parts store. I forget which brand I currently have. The simple act of keeping the seals around the doors clean helps, when I wash the car I am sure to cleans the seals. Keep in mind that there are seals on both the doors themselves, and on the door frames as well.

4) I have an unpopular opinion on this, but I use premium top tier gas religiously, and am convinced I have more pep and better mileage. I started doing this about 5,000km as I found ice at the top of my filler tube and was afraid maybe some moisture had gotten down the tube into the gas. When i saw my mpg go up, and the engine seemed to have more power, I stuck with it. This was also around the time the manual says it should be done learning driving patterns etc, so I could be all wet on this.

I just made a trip through NY and PA mountains and got @ 33 mpg overall. I am of the belief that the extra additives in both top tier, and then premium has even more on top of that, help keep the internals and injectors cleaner. In DI engines I think this is important. If you have a Costco nearby, they are top tier and their price for premium is an even bigger savings than regular, they don't upcharge as much from reg to prem. Basically I pay for premium only a few cents more than regular at other place. Works for me, I can afford it and see no reason to switch back. On trips I look for Shell V-power or Sunoco 94.

5) I like the infotainment and prefer to use Android Auto over the built in Nav, as AA has real time traffic updates.

6) Built in Nav would have real time updates as well, if you pay for Onstar. I canceled it after 3 month trial as I didn't see the usefulness. If I ever get in an accident and need help, I will push that button. If they fail to send help and I survive, I will suit the crap out of em!

I had concerns about the seats as they seemed much firmer than my 2013, but everyone loves them, including me. My brother in law has arthritis etc and is rarely comfortable. We went on a 4 hour trip, he got out and was amazed at how good he felt after the trip and raved abut how comfortable the ride was. I would suspect the seat frames would be the same for cloth as my leather seats, I could be wrong. Maybe mine could have other improvements beside the leather?

As far as best practices go, change oil 3-5k miles - if the oil looks dirty, you need to increase oil change interval. The better you treat your car, the better it will treat you - usually lol
This is great information, thank you. I'm going to try Shell premium and see if I notice the same performance increase you have seen. I'm also going to try that silicone rubber lube, great idea! OnStar still seems to be an unpopular service so after each day, I'm also failing to see the usefulness. For the oil change, I was going to move to 5k changes but I'll take a look at it around 3k and if it needs changing, I will change my oil changing habits. Thank you for the reply!

CPG

Reaction score
If you're going to screw around with the sound system, changing speakers etc, wait until your bumper to bumper warranty is over. Going under that dash, moving wiring harnesses out of the way, just to change speakers could lead to unintended consequences that will not be covered by warranty

Members online

No members online now.