Turning radius

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cmaher

Reaction score
Just today I had to park in a parking garage. You know, narrow spots and other drivers who do not understand what those white lines on the pavement are for. That was a five-point turn to get parked.
Yep, we understand!

Slow Learner

Reaction score
This car has the worst turning radius of any vehicle of any vehicle I have ever owned. Trying to adjust. I have curbed this damn thing more than every other car in the last 50 fn years. anyone else, or is it me? 2018 Premier
Actually, no. I have a 2019 Equinox 2.0T (same model as yours) which has a noticeably SMALLER turn radius than my previous model, a 2010 2.3 Equinox. It was a barge.
Still, your point is valid. Other manufacturers make front-wheel-drive carts with much smaller turn radii. Why not GM?

Severum17

Reaction score
You didn't give any information on what year or model your Equinox is so I can't give you the specs on it.

The turning diameter of my 1997 Ford Aerostar is 40 ft.
The page I linked to shows the 2023 Malibu turning diameter is 37 ft.
The turning diameter of the 2022 Equinox is 37.4 ft (radius 18.7 ft)
LT w/ 1LT SUV1.5L | Turbo | I4 | DOHC SIDI VVT | 6 Spd Auto, Electronically-Controlled With OD | FWD18.7 ft37.4 ft

(Double the length of the radius to get the diameter.)

Chevrolet Equinox Turning Radius Overview

The Chevrolet Equinox curb-to-curb turning radius is between 18.7 and 20.8 feet as specified in our data below, organized by trim, option package, and model year.

For example the 2024 Chevrolet Equinox with the LT 4dr w/ 2FL trim package curb-to-curb turning radius is 18

It's you.
No, its not

jkumbalek

Reaction score
This is an older post but I was just thinking today of the turning radius and how tight it is. Possible mechanical or electrical issue? I've been driving a 2014 Ford Fusion and find the 2023 chevy equinox has the same, if not tighter turning radius. I don't have any data to back it up, just purely off feel, but I like it.

PoManNox

Reaction score
You guys are funny.

I thought my 2021 Equinox turned on a dime, but the last couple of years I drove my 2022 Nissan Frontier pickup. You want to talk about a comically HUGE turning radius per the size of the vehicle? Try a Nissan Frontier. I feel like my 2021 Equinox can turn a circle inside the Frontier's circle.

RedEq

Reaction score
The 2024 Equinox Fleet Order Guide says the turning circle varies according to wheel size. It's a pretty big jump from small to large:

17 inch wheels: 37.4 feet
18 inch wheels: 38.4 feet
19 inch wheels: 41.6 feet

The spec applies to all trims, FWD and AWD.

I got a Premier off the lot, with the standard 18" wheels. I could have paid more for another one with 19s, but why? This is the car I will use when I leave the Silverado behind because the truck is too big to maneuver/park.

ricklack

Reaction score
The 2024 Equinox Fleet Order Guide says the turning circle varies according to wheel size. It's a pretty big jump from small to large:

The spec applies to all trims, FWD and AWD.

I got a Premier off the lot, with the standard 18" wheels. I could have paid more for another one with 19s, but why? This is the car I will use when I leave the Silverado behind because the truck is too big to maneuver/park.
That splains it. I have the 19s on my RS.

NXR71

Reaction score

GM needs to up their game. :)

Our Ford gas motorhome with 22.5" wheels has a curb-to-curb turning diameter of 72.0 feet. It has a 242" wheelbase and a wheel cut of 42 degrees.

We might be able to do a U-turn on a 6-lane interstate if we used the berms...

NXR71

Reaction score

Nice find and that explains it for me. I bought my 2020 Premier used and it came with the 19" wheels. As an added bonus those 235/50R19 tires are a lot more expensive. :)

Misha

Reaction score
Yep, 19s here. They ride rougher and the turning radius is absolute ass. I should have thought of this before I replaced the tires, but man I’d love to trade with someone who has 17s. Until then I’m just grateful for the 360 cameras. They make those multipoint turns so much easier.

NXR71

Reaction score
Yep, 19s here. They ride rougher and the turning radius is absolute ass. I should have thought of this before I replaced the tires, but man I’d love to trade with someone who has 17s. Until then I’m just grateful for the 360 cameras. They make those multipoint turns so much easier.

I had Michelin Defender 2's installed last year. The ride actually feels better than the OEM Hankook tires but that may be new rubber versus old rubber.

What tire pressure do you use cold? It should be 35 PSI, or what your door jamb sticker says, not the pressure molded into the sidewall of the tire.

BTW, changing the wheels and tires from 19" to 17" will not improve the turning radius at all. That is controlled by the wheel cut in the steering system itself.

I absolutely agree on the 360 Surround Vision. That is an option I never would have bought due to the cost but it came with this thing. Just like heated steering wheels, I'll never have another car without 360 vision. As I've aged it turns out I can use all of the "driver assist" features there are. :)

Severum17

Reaction score
I have Hankook 50/19 Tires are horrible. Ride rough, hydroplane.
Not all are the tires. Its the car. It was an inherited vehicle. Chevrolet owner and driver for years. Worked in a dealership for 45 years, most are a great product, but this one.............. sorry, not a great vehicle. When it works out, its gone.

Misha

Reaction score
I had Michelin Defender 2's installed last year. The ride actually feels better than the OEM Hankook tires but that may be new rubber versus old rubber.

What tire pressure do you use cold? It should be 35 PSI, or what your door jamb sticker says, not the pressure molded into the sidewall of the tire.

BTW, changing the wheels and tires from 19" to 17" will not improve the turning radius at all. That is controlled by the wheel cut in the steering system itself.

I absolutely agree on the 360 Surround Vision. That is an option I never would have bought due to the cost but it came with this thing. Just like heated steering wheels, I'll never have another car without 360 vision. As I've aged it turns out I can use all of the "driver assist" features there are. :)
I keep them at 35. I still find that it rides rougher than my wife’s ‘24 LT.

ricklack

Reaction score
I agree the Hankook Kinergy GTs are not worth the inflated price. Mine are almost worn out, yet my Michelin X-Ice snows have over 1/2 the tread left and they have more miles on them than the Kooks.

I have run the Michelin Defenders on several cars, but currently they do not seem to be available at Costco Canada. If they don't get stock, I will go to a US Costco - cheaper and less tax, so I would save hundreds. I've done that in the past, and go to US to see my family often anyway.

Also agree with the HD Surround cameras, heated steering wheel ( a life saver while waiting for heated seat chip in the winter), and adaptive cruise. Not sure how I ever lived without these things before, and now a must have going forward.

I also go with 35 psi.

Misha

Reaction score
I agree the Hankook Kinergy GTs are not worth the inflated price. Mine are almost worn out, yet my Michelin X-Ice snows have over 1/2 the tread left and they have more miles on them than the Kooks.

I have run the Michelin Defenders on several cars, but currently they do not seem to be available at Costco Canada. If they don't get stock, I will go to a US Costco - cheaper and less tax, so I would save hundreds. I've done that in the past, and go to US to see my family often anyway.

Also agree with the HD Surround cameras, heated steering wheel ( a life saver while waiting for heated seat chip in the winter), and adaptive cruise. Not sure how I ever lived without these things before, and now a must have going forward.

I also go with 35 psi.
You like the adaptive cruise? I think it’s absolute garbage. It hits the brake way too hard, and the jerking about makes me nauseous. I had a Corolla while my Equinox was in the body shop after an accident last year and that adaptive cruise technology is a lot better.

ricklack

Reaction score
You like the adaptive cruise? I think it’s absolute garbage. It hits the brake way too hard, and the jerking about makes me nauseous. I had a Corolla while my Equinox was in the body shop after an accident last year and that adaptive cruise technology is a lot better.
Love it - perhaps yours needs calibration, as mine does none of the things you mention.

Severum17

Reaction score
If you purchase tires at Walmart, Sams etc and if you have a flat and need a replacement your Michelin dealer will NOT have it. Same as Goodyear , Firestone or whatever. Club tires are only available at that club. They are different from the brand tires and are made for that club only. You get what you pay for.

Last edited:

NXR71

Reaction score
If you purchase tires at Walmart, Sams etc and if you have a flat and need a replacement your Michelin dealer will NOT have it. Same as Goodyear , Firestone or whatever. Club tires are only available at that club. They are different from the brand tires and are made for that club only. You get what you pay for.
While those stores do have their own private label brands that's not always the case. I got Michelin Defender 2's at Costco and the local tire dealer also sells them. My warranty booklet is from Michelin, not Costco.

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
Turning radius-I was driving an avalanche for almost 20 years before the equinox, so the equinox turns on a dime for me. I guess it's perspective.
Sam's club and tire warranty-I had a bad set of Michelin x radial on my avalanche. The tread came off in chunks. Not my typical experience with Michelin. Sam's honored the tread wear warranty which is really unusual for a truck. The manager said he had never seen that happen.

Members online

No members online now.