Prices on GM extended warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bronzebox

Reaction score
Hi all, new member here. Bought a 2024 Equinox LT model back in February. Inquired about an extended warranty but the dealer where I bought it doesn’t sell GM warranty, only some aftermarket company called Ethos that I never heard of before.
Tried another dealer and they do sell GM brand but were trying to steer me towards Ally which I have heard of because I had it on an older 2012 Malibu.
I don’t drive much but want an extended warranty because of all the electronics on newer vehicles. Looking to get a 7 or 8 year Platinum plan with 60000 miles.
Also own a 2022 Ford Maverick and on the forums they have a couple dealers that sell Ford plans at $100 over cost, was able to get the top tier warranty 8 year/60000 for $1250.
Anyone know of similar GM dealers that sell warranties for a small markup ? If not what kind of prices are people paying for a 7/70000 plan ?
Thanks in advance for any replies.

BDCEquinox

Reaction score
What you are asking about is a GM Protection Plan

Regarding aftermarket/third party warranties, I know a lot of the aftermarket warranties are difficult to get paid out. And like the GM PP, cover only specific things.

My recommendation is for each vehicle you would buy a warranty on, instead take that cash $2-3,000 likely and put it into a vehicle repair savings account. Considering warranties are money making for the company, not you, over time you will eventually have enough money saved up to cover all expenses because you spend more on warranties than you would on repairs.

This way, you are paying yourself rather than paying someone else.

Bronzebox

Reaction score
What you are asking about is a GM Protection Plan

Regarding aftermarket/third party warranties, I know a lot of the aftermarket warranties are difficult to get paid out. And like the GM PP, cover only specific things.

My recommendation is for each vehicle you would buy a warranty on, instead take that cash $2-3,000 likely and put it into a vehicle repair savings account. Considering warranties are money making for the company, not you, over time you will eventually have enough money saved up to cover all expenses because you spend more on warranties than you would on repairs.

This way, you are paying yourself rather than paying someone else.
I would never pay two to three thousand for an extended warranty but if I can get a GM or Ford warranty for $1500 or less it would be worth it to me for peace of mind.
The main concern for me in this day and age is all the electronics that vehicles have now.

BDCEquinox

Reaction score
I would never pay two to three thousand for an extended warranty but if I can get a GM or Ford warranty for $1500 or less it would be worth it to me for peace of mind.
The main concern for me in this day and age is all the electronics that vehicles have now.
Right, but the GM warranties don't cost $1500 or less.

Even the GM CPO which primarily offers an extension of powertrain by 40,000 miles is $1,000. If you want the higher end plans that cover more than a few basic parts you're going to shell out the cash. That's why I recommend self-insuring because over time you'll save money.

Autoworker 74

Reaction score
Hi all, new member here. Bought a 2024 Equinox LT model back in February. Inquired about an extended warranty but the dealer where I bought it doesn’t sell GM warranty, only some aftermarket company called Ethos that I never heard of before.
Tried another dealer and they do sell GM brand but were trying to steer me towards Ally which I have heard of because I had it on an older 2012 Malibu.
I don’t drive much but want an extended warranty because of all the electronics on newer vehicles. Looking to get a 7 or 8 year Platinum plan with 60000 miles.
Also own a 2022 Ford Maverick and on the forums they have a couple dealers that sell Ford plans at $100 over cost, was able to get the top tier warranty 8 year/60000 for $1250.
Anyone know of similar GM dealers that sell warranties for a small markup ? If not what kind of prices are people paying for a 7/70000 plan ?
I bought a 6 year 72,000 mile warranty on my 2018 Equinox. The warranty is expired and the car has about 25,000 miles on it. Obviously I made a mistake but being retired reduced my driving by a lot more than I expected. My next one if available will be 10 year 60,000 miles. Just so you know the 2018 has never been in for a repair.
My last 2 were from Zurich Ins and I think right around $2,000 for each. For me personally they turned out to be a waste of money but you just never know do you.

Bronzebox

Reaction score
After researching found out some useful info. Most extended warranty plans start on the date you purchase the vehicle. For some reason GM Extended Protection Plan starts on the date you purchase the plan, and you can purchase it at anytime as long as the original 3 Year/36000 mile warranty hasn’t expired yet.
For example if your car is 30 months old with 30000 miles and you buy a 5 year 60000 miles warranty you are covered for 5 more years and 60000 additional miles.
My Nox is about 6 months old and I don’t drive a lot. I plan to buy a 84 month 56000 miles Platinum warranty in about 2 years and found a dealer who quoted me a price of less than $1500. That will provide me coverage until the vehicle is over 9 years old, with a $100 deductible.

Here is the contact info for the person I spoke with if anyone is interested.
Todd Sutherland
[email protected]

Bronzebox

Reaction score
Todd’s email address is under his name it is just in dark letters and hard to see for some reason

ricklack

Reaction score
My dealer gave me a line when I bought the car, saying "anything that has oil in it" (basically the drivetrain) has a lifetime warranty from that dealer, as long as I do all my maintenance there.

I don't trust this and after being told my brakes needed servicing at 24,000km (and it was not covered by my enhanced maintenance package- which DOES cover up to 2 complete brake jobs) I have decided that this is a pile of BS.

Last edited:

Bronzebox

Reaction score
Why wasn’t it covered by your enhanced maintenance package?
It wouldn’t be covered by extended warranty either.
But I’m pretty sure extended warranty plan and enhanced maintenance package are two completely different things.
Did the dealer put it in writing about their lifetime powertrain warranty?

PoManNox

Reaction score
When I bought my used 2021 Equinox a few months ago from a Mazda dealer that's part of a large local dealer chain, they wanted something like $3500, $4500 and $6000 for their low, mid or top tier extended warranty packages. LOL! Thanks, but no thanks.

All the big dealer chains in my area sell nothing but aftermarket packages and have for many years. Luckily, the sales pitch wasn't too painful to get out of.

Deacon101

Reaction score
Have a '23 LT, and the dealer I bought it from also did not sell GM warranties. They offered their own brand of warranty (in-house) which was $3,200 for 5 years/100,000 miles. I did not get it, of course. I spent 20 years as a service advisor/service manager at several new car dealerships and I could take hours telling you all about the horror stories about trying to get repairs approved by aftermarket warranty companies. From not paying the going labor rate to not being accepted at certain dealerships to insisting on using LKQ (used) parts, the frustrations were endless. That is why I only get a manufacturer's extended warranty when I get a new vehicle. In the case of my new '23 LT, there was another Chevy dealer nearby to this dealer which offered GM warranties online and I purchased one from them. I got 5/100 coverage for only $1700. That way, whether I am at home or traveling anywhere in the country, I can go to a GM dealer and have my problems taken care of with little or no hassle. And as far as the suggestion of setting aside money for a 'repair account', I'm not a fan of that either. The cost of labor and parts keeps rising. Labor rates are over $120 per hour at most dealers (or even much more in bigger cities), and although labor might be cheaper at some independent shops, I am not sure independent shop mechanics have the knowledge to handle the complexities of modern autos. To my mind, if you are going to keep a vehicle well beyond its warranty expiration date/mileage, one repair could easily eat up that 'repair account' money.

PoManNox

Reaction score
Have a '23 LT, and the dealer I bought it from also did not sell GM warranties. They offered their own brand of warranty (in-house) which was $3,200 for 5 years/100,000 miles. I did not get it, of course. I spent 20 years as a service advisor/service manager at several new car dealerships and I could take hours telling you all about the horror stories about trying to get repairs approved by aftermarket warranty companies. From not paying the going labor rate to not being accepted at certain dealerships to insisting on using LKQ (used) parts, the frustrations were endless. That is why I only get a manufacturer's extended warranty when I get a new vehicle. In the case of my new '23 LT, there was another Chevy dealer nearby to this dealer which offered GM warranties online and I purchased one from them. I got 5/100 coverage for only $1700. That way, whether I am at home or traveling anywhere in the country, I can go to a GM dealer and have my problems taken care of with little or no hassle. And as far as the suggestion of setting aside money for a 'repair account', I'm not a fan of that either. The cost of labor and parts keeps rising. Labor rates are over $120 per hour at most dealers (or even much more in bigger cities), and although labor might be cheaper at some independent shops, I am not sure independent shop mechanics have the knowledge to handle the complexities of modern autos. To my mind, if you are going to keep a vehicle well beyond its warranty expiration date/mileage, one repair could easily eat up that 'repair account' money.

$1700 is quite the deal. Just curious if there's a deductible. Does this plan extend the bumper/bumper coverage out to 5/100?

There's endless extended warranty contract talk on any automotive board. It seems like most people in the automotive repair industry hate them and I've been following this stuff for over 20yrs. I am sure the OEM contracts are better, but still not flawless. I've had OEM and aftermarket warranties over the years and have had repairs done that basically covered the cost of the warranty. I buy cars (typically late model used) every few years and try to find CPO if I can. If not, I skip the warranty, much to dealer finance person's dismay. I am soured on them more because of the high pressure sales tactics the dealers tend to have.

If you talk to any financial advisor, these contracts are always a hard no. These are people who know how to make and save you money.

I get it though. $1700 isn't going to break the bank for an insurance policy that gives you some comfort.

The problem today is, you see more and more ~5yr/old vehicles with failed computer modules or other electronic parts, where the module or part is no longer available. An extended warranty is going to be a hassle covering someone spending time trying to source and program a used part.

Deacon101

Reaction score
$1700 is quite the deal. Just curious if there's a deductible. Does this plan extend the bumper/bumper coverage out to 5/100?

There's endless extended warranty contract talk on any automotive board. It seems like most people in the automotive repair industry hate them and I've been following this stuff for over 20yrs. I am sure the OEM contracts are better, but still not flawless. I've had OEM and aftermarket warranties over the years and have had repairs done that basically covered the cost of the warranty. I buy cars (typically late model used) every few years and try to find CPO if I can. If not, I skip the warranty, much to dealer finance person's dismay. I am soured on them more because of the high pressure sales tactics the dealers tend to have.

If you talk to any financial advisor, these contracts are always a hard no. These are people who know how to make and save you money.

I get it though. $1700 isn't going to break the bank for an insurance policy that gives you some comfort.

The problem today is, you see more and more ~5yr/old vehicles with failed computer modules or other electronic parts, where the module or part is no longer available. An extended warranty is going to be a hassle covering someone spending time trying to source and program a used part.
PoManNox: Had to pull out my paperwork to make sure I had all the facts. It is a Platinum Chevrolet Protection Plan. 72 months/100,000 miles. $0 deductible. Price was not $1,700..it was $1,840 (sorry). But this warranty is GM, and as I said has no deductible. Looking at my contract paperwork, it states that coverage includes engine, trans/drive axle, front suspension, rear suspension, climate control, a bunch of electrical (everything from alternator to glove box light switch to )2 and mass air flow sensors...also covers steering, brakes (not pads or rotors of course but most everything else including seals...even covers the diagnostics charge if on a covered repair...fluids and refrigerant used during a covered repair, rental car coverage ($40 per day up to 10 days)...and 24 hour roadside assistance including towing, battery service, flat tire assistance, fuel service, and lockout assistance. As you can see, this Platinum coverage is a great warranty, from GM so it's good anywhere, and it was only $1,840. The dealer I got it from was: Knapp Chevrolet/Buick, Blissfield, Michigan. Phone is: 517-486-4311. They sell online, so you can go to their website like I did and do everything over the phone ad they send you the paperwork to keep for your proof.

Deacon101

Reaction score
PoManNox: Had to pull out my paperwork to make sure I had all the facts. It is a Platinum Chevrolet Protection Plan. 72 months/100,000 miles. $0 deductible. Price was not $1,700..it was $1,840 (sorry). But this warranty is GM, and as I said has no deductible. Looking at my contract paperwork, it states that coverage includes engine, trans/drive axle, front suspension, rear suspension, climate control, a bunch of electrical (everything from alternator to glove box light switch to )2 and mass air flow sensors...also covers steering, brakes (not pads or rotors of course but most everything else including seals...even covers the diagnostics charge if on a covered repair...fluids and refrigerant used during a covered repair, rental car coverage ($40 per day up to 10 days)...and 24 hour roadside assistance including towing, battery service, flat tire assistance, fuel service, and lockout assistance. As you can see, this Platinum coverage is a great warranty, from GM so it's good anywhere, and it was only $1,840. The dealer I got it from was: Knapp Chevrolet/Buick, Blissfield, Michigan. Phone is: 517-486-4311. They sell online, so you can go to their website like I did and do everything over the phone ad they send you the paperwork to keep for your proof.
AND I see you're from Buffalo. Say "hi!" to my cousins in Hamburg, Derby, and Angola.

Members online

No members online now.