Knocking sound from steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07noxbomb

Reaction score
Any insight is appreciated on this weird problem I'm having with my 2007 AWD equinox.

When I move the steering wheel slightly back and forth while in park, it makes this knocking sound but doesn't turn the wheels at all. Along with that, it vibrates when breaking with pretty new brakes and rotors. Another odd thing is it doesn't vibrate at all speeds of braking, just at the start of breaking when going 30 or above. It settles down as the car slows down. No vibration if I have to brake hard.

Here's a video of the sound and the movement that creates it. Any ideas? Is it something in the steering column? I saw some videos about tightening an Allan key on the steering box to fix this exact scenario, but I don't know where that is on the Nox or if it even has one of those.

cavell

Reaction score
Could be plastic coupler inside elec. motor assy. Rarely fails.
Could be knuckle on intermediate shaft.
You can loosen set screw on knuckle assy and try to move it 1/8”-3/16 further up Splined shaft. Usually has no affect.
Could change elec motor assist assy. I did. Made 20% improvement.

Members online