Dead battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMcCourt

Reaction score
I have an 2019 Equinox Premier. After no issues for almost 5 years, I came out of work to a dead battery. Diagnostic run by national auto service chain showed alternator was fine but battery needed replacing. Even after replacing the battery, still waking up in the morning to a dead battery. Took to the same place to further diagnose the issue and their remedy was the “fuel pump” (some sort of control module for the saddle tanks). Worked fine for 1 day and came out to yet another dead battery. Is this anything that anyone else has experienced and if so, what was the remedy? Is this a “take it to the dealer” issue?
Please help…

Last edited:

Big Papi

Reaction score
Parasitic battery drain can be difficult to run down. The dealer is fine for scheduled maintenance, recalls or troubles identified in manufacturer Technical Service Bulletins You want a well equipped independent shop or go back to the first one and give them an opportunity to make it right, After all you shouldn't be paying for their learning curve.

Last edited:

ricklack

Reaction score
My first thought is that possibly the new battery was never fully charged to begin with? Depending where you bought it, and who installed it, this could happen. If you do not drive it far or long enough to get that full charge, this may be worth considering.

Parasitic drain is a pain, I would hope you have the not fully charged issue.

JMcCourt

Reaction score
Well we think we have an answer: fuel pump drivers module. Appears that water had gotten into the pins and corroded the connection, causing it to short out and continually run the fuel pump, drawing enough power throughout the day/night to drain the battery. Our clue was a “hissing” sound in between the two rear tires after the vehicle was shut off and locked after about 30-40 seconds. The sound, coupled with the checking the error code led the group of determined mechanics to check this module. On my 2019 Equinox Premier, it is tucked into a small competent in the far back on the drivers side. It not only requires that cover to be removed, but also the rear cover over the spare tire. Quite the job to get there but once they pulled the module, the issue was pretty evident with all the corrosion. Replaced the module (couple of hundred dollars) and replaced the fuses and so far all is good. They kept the vehicle overnight to double check but are confident that this was the cause of the issue.

If anything changes, I’ll follow up.

PoManNox

Reaction score
I may be misunderstanding something, but you said in your first post that they replaced the fuel pump control module and it didn't fix the issue. What was different in post #4 of this thread?

JMcCourt

Reaction score
I may be misunderstanding something, but you said in your first post that they replaced the fuel pump control module and it didn't fix the issue. What was different in post #4 of this thread?
To my understanding, the control module they replaced sits on top of the fuel tank and controls the flow of fuel from the saddle tanks. The drivers module powers the pump on and off. As it was shorting out, it was keeping the fuel pump on, even when the vehicle was off.

I am looking more into the “technical” stuff and will post more.

Members online