A/C BLOWS HOT AND COLD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ltb31057

Reaction score
I bought a 2017 Chevy Equinox brand new in August 2016. The A/C blows cold air, then hot, at a lower volume. Sometimes, it runs cold for weeks on end and suddenly hot air will come out but not blasting. In triple digit temps during the summers in TX, even a minute or two of hot air can be excruciating. I've had it in to the dealership several times, and of course it never acted up while in the shop. They even took it out on the road to see if it would do it. Now, my warranty has been expired for some time and they still cannot diagnose the problem unless it's DOING it at the shop!

Has anyone else had this problem and if resolved, what was the cause??

CocoaJeff

Reaction score
Well I haven't experienced that problem in my Nox, yet. But my first thought was a faulty or malfunctioning blend door actuator. I had several go out in my Impala. One directs the air through the various vents, one controls hot/cold, etc. When that particular one went out, it was the middle of winter and I couldn't turn the heat on until I replaced it. Do you ever hear any unidentified "clicking" sounds? That's what they do when the cheap little plastic gears start to strip.

I take it you have the fully automatic HVAC system? Could also be a malfunctioning temperature sensor or something like that. After one of these events, do you know if it's throwing any codes?

Ltb31057

Reaction score
Well I haven't experienced that problem in my Nox, yet. But my first thought was a faulty or malfunctioning blend door actuator. I had several go out in my Impala. One directs the air through the various vents, one controls hot/cold, etc. When that particular one went out, it was the middle of winter and I couldn't turn the heat on until I replaced it. Do you ever hear any unidentified "clicking" sounds? That's what they do when the cheap little plastic gears start to strip.

I take it you have the fully automatic HVAC system? Could also be a malfunctioning temperature sensor or something like that. After one of these events, do you know if it's throwing any codes?
Yes I do hear a clicking sound. Dealership cannot diagnose the problem because of course the a/c runs fine while it's there!! Funny how it can go weeks, months without any issues then suddenly start blowing hot for a minute or two, then blast cold again. If it was hot and stayed hot I'd think the problem would be easier to detect but this intermittent BS is driving me crazy!

Members online

No members online now.