2025 PSI 41?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ironeaglex

Reaction score
Hello

I recently purchased a equinox 2025. It's showing on the door frame that the PSI is 41.....Do you all have this as well? After googling for PSI , it shows all equinox before hand were always at 35PSIIMG_9450.jpg

PoManNox

Reaction score
Definitely a bit stiffer than the ~35psig, but it might have to do with the specific tire/wheel combo per your option package.

Autoworker 74

Reaction score
I've had mine for a week but I'm on a cruise so I checked with my Chevy App. 34, 33, 33 and 33 psi. I am planning on staying at 35 psi on all 4 tires.

bagbyjw

Reaction score
My 2022 with 225/65R17 all 4 tires are 35 PSI

Lee

Reaction score
Hello

I recently purchased a equinox 2025. It's showing on the door frame that the PSI is 41.....Do you all have this as well? After googling for PSI , it shows all equinox before hand were always at 35PSIView attachment 2610
I looked at two 2025s today. A RS and LT.
The RS showed 35 PSI on the door frame and the LT showed 41 PSI.

NXR71

Reaction score
For vehicles of 10,000 lbs GVWR or less the tire pressure is governed by FMVSS 110, a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard governing the selection of tires and rims to avoid overloading of the vehicle. The pressures shown on the sticker are not just something the vehicle manufacturer pulled out of their nether regions and incorrect tire pressure stickers can and have triggered a federal recall. Remember the Ford Explorer tire fiasco and associated deaths? That's why it exists.

So why the difference between the older 17"-equipped wheels and the 2025 with 17" wheels?

One thing "tire outsiders" may not know is that essentially ALL tire manufacturers use the exact same tire load inflation load chart for the same tire size. That's why the tire pressure sticker only lists sizes, not make and model of tire.

The load inflation chart lists how much weight a tire can safely support at a given pressure. Because it's the air pressure that supports the weight, not the rubber. The rubber just holds the air in.

Lowering the air pressure to improve the ride is almost always a fool's game because you run the very real risk of overloading the tire and impairing the handling, resulting in blowouts. Remember the Ford Explorer tire fiasco and associated deaths?

IF you know the particulars of how a tire was selected you can safely lower the tire pressure IF you select a pressure for the tires based on the tire manufacturer's load inflation chart and IF you know the actual weight imparted on each tire through the use of a four-corner weighing. That's a lot of IF's plus you come closer to triggering the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) warning system because the TPMS is programmed based on the sticker tire size and the sticker pressures.

So each tire of a given size, regardless of who built it, will support the same weight at the same air pressure.

A close look at the stickers posted above shows this:

First sticker: 235/65R17 Load range H
Second sticker: 235/55R19 Load range H

17" diameter wheels (rims) versus 19" diameter wheels (rims) plus different-sized tires (obviously).

Someone with a pre-2025 would need to post their sticker showing the pressures required in their 17" wheels for a valid comparison.

Bagbyjw posted some text for a 2022 LS but not a pic: 225/65R17, not 235/65R17

225 versus 235 is a big difference so I don't know if that is a typo or accurate. If it is accurate then GM changed to a different size tire for the 2025 with 17" wheels and that's why there is a pressure change on the sticker.

Interesting factoid: A tire that is under-inflated by a mere 20% is considered flat, not under-inflated, and susceptible to internal damage.

For a tire that should be at 35 PSI it's considered flat at 28 PSI.

For a tire that should be at 41 PSI it's considered flat at 33 PSI.

The TPMS light is based on those percentages, not some "OK, you can safely drive at this pressure for hundreds of miles." If you do, you have just significantly increased the chance of tire damage causing a loss of all air and needing to replace the tire rather than just adding some air.

1728309006233.png

Last edited:

PaulD

Reaction score
Why would you NOT follow the manufacturer's specs? As pointed out, the two pressures shown are entirely two different sizes.

melllimel

Reaction score
I purchased a 2025 Equinox LT yesterday, and my app is saying that all 4 tires are low. They are at 34 PSI, yet the door says 41 PSI. I am very curious as to why the dealership would send a car out that is that far below the door PSI.

I think that I should have them at what the door frame says, but does the dealership think something different for a reason? I'm trying to decide if I need to add more air.

Thank you for any input.

PaulD

Reaction score
Might be ignorance at the dealer. Don't know where you are but I'm in NH and with the change from summer temps, my tires show 4-5 psi less than temps in the 80s.

melllimel

Reaction score
Might be ignorance at the dealer. Don't know where you are but I'm in NH and with the change from summer temps, my tires show 4-5 psi less than temps in the 80s.
Thank you. I'm in CA, so not much in temp changes right now.

ricklack

Reaction score
I purchased a 2025 Equinox LT yesterday, and my app is saying that all 4 tires are low. They are at 34 PSI, yet the door says 41 PSI. I am very curious as to why the dealership would send a car out that is that far below the door PSI.

I think that I should have them at what the door frame says, but does the dealership think something different for a reason? I'm trying to decide if I need to add more air.

Thank you for any input.
I had a similar issue - the dealer always seemed to lower the tires to 30 -32 PSI and my app and monthly report would point this out. I just topped mine off to 35 and if I remember I ask the dealer not to change air pressure. They seem to be better lately, even when I forget to remind them. I have a portable cordless compressor that I keep in the storage area near my spare tire.

It depends on which mechanic, day of the week and sunspot activity maybe 😝

NXR71

Reaction score

Because someone decided to fill the tires from memory instead of checking the sticker. It could even have been someone who was supposed to check the tires and said "Whoa! Some idiot at the factory way over-filled these tires. I need to let some air out!"

A tire that is 20% under-inflated is considered flat and susceptible to internal damage that will cause a premature failure. 80% of 41 PSI is 33 PSI so do that math.

Complain to the dealer service manager. He won't do anything for you but he may actually do his job and have a talk with whomever he had check the tires.

NXR71

Reaction score
Nice. I like people that actually pay attention to what's going on with their vehicles. :)

The formula is a 2% pressure change for each 10 F of temperature change. If a tire is at 35 PSI at 85 F and the temp drops to 25 F, a 60 F change, the tires will be about 4 PSI lower.

35 * 0.02 = 0.7
0.7 * 6 = 4.2

Last edited:

NXR71

Reaction score
So what exactly does that "maximum pressure" that is molded into the tire sidewall mean?

Because it is not the maximum pressure that should ever be in the tire.

The pressure molded into the tire sidewall means "This tire needs this much pressure in the tire WHEN COLD in order for the tire to support its maximum design weight. Increasing the COLD pressure above this will NOT allow the tire to support more weight safely."

Because it's the air pressure that supports the weight. The rubber just hold the air in.

It is NEVER the maximum pressure that should be in the tire when the tire is above the ambient temperature. Those pressure increases are normal and expected and handled in the design as long as the tire is not overloaded or under-inflated.

"COLD" simply means the tire has not been driven on for hours and the sunlight has not warmed the tires. COLD is NEVER a specific temperature. No, it is not 68 F.

Autoworker 74

Reaction score

Thank you for any input.
Same here, my 2025 had all PSI below 35 which is where I expected it to be. I have put air in the rear tires twice. I'm not sure what is going on.

PaulD

Reaction score
Unless the dealer can verify the factory sticker is incorrect, I would never take their word over the designer's. 41 psi is higher than 'traditional' tire pressures, thus not seen by many dealers nor mechanics (yet).

Members online