2019 Equinox Sunroof won't retract

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kay

Reaction score
Good day,
I have a DISEAL 2019 Equinox but sunshade been stuck in closed position since I bought it.
(sunroof working)
Any idea on fixes or what it gonna cost me to get it fixed?
Thanks

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
Hello,

It's a hard thing to diagnose remotely. These panoramic sunroofs are poorly designed and are prone to a number of problems. They become misaligned and will not move or water can damage the shade and it's mechanism. If you have a local sunroof shop, you might do a little better on price and actually get a solution. Most dealers have a sunroof guy that specializes in these problems. I can tell you the guy that travels to Mechanicsburg for Chevy dealers is not good at fixing issues. My sunroof is sealed closed, because they can't seem to fix my leak.

SteveK

Reaction score
would there be a separate fuse for that motor?

TopHat

Reaction score
Don't have sun roof on our 2019 Equinox. However, is it manual where you simply pull it and it's made of a hard card board like substance. If so, probably jammed.

Reactions: Kay

SteveK

Reaction score
Video bit shaky but does show a DIY repair. Thanks

TopHat

Reaction score
Hello,

It's a hard thing to diagnose remotely. These panoramic sunroofs are poorly designed and are prone to a number of problems. They become misaligned and will not move or water can damage the shade and it's mechanism. If you have a local sunroof shop, you might do a little better on price and actually get a solution. Most dealers have a sunroof guy that specializes in these problems. I can tell you the guy that travels to Mechanicsburg for Chevy dealers is not good at fixing issues. My sunroof is sealed closed, because they can't seem to fix my leak.
I had a Lincoln dealer, the service manager, one month out of warranty try to tell me I needed a new panoramic sun roof at $800 plus because it leaked. I told him to stick it, and never went there again. Plenty of videos showing how to unclog the drains, sometimes 2 sometimes 4. The Lincoln and my Avalanche, IIRC, each had a drain down the post that you can see when you open the doors. Clean that out. Also, run a wire or rod GENTLY from the holes in tray when the sun roof is retracted. To test poor water down hole and if water flows freely, you've cleared it. Take care not to separate the hose connection when you ream it out else you'll need to take arm panel off to fix to reconnect the hose. Plenty of videos, give it a shot if you haven't already.

Kay

Reaction score
Is your sun shade manual or part of a panoramic electric system?
panoramic system. I hear motor moving and if I force open.a bit it will close by self just won't open

NikeRJC

Reaction score
You can try to relearn the sunroof motor. I’m a tech a Chevy and true, there are many issues with these sunroofs but sometimes a relearn is all that it needs. With the car running press the sunroof glass button CLOSE-OPEN-CLOSE and hold down on that last press on close. The sunroof with then cycle fully open and fully close. When it stops you’re done. Close-open-close needs to be done within 5 seconds. Good luck and hopefully that’s all you need!

Members online