2019 Equinox paint on hood edge is bubbling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickyZ88

Reaction score
I’m having the same issue!

I have a 2019 Equinox in Black. I’ve been to two dealerships who both told me it’s not covered. I reached out to GM and had a representative contact me. As of this past week, I was told to bring the car back to the dealer and ask the service department to put in a request to have a GM field expert visit the dealership to make the final call. I’ve been dealing with this issue since March 2023.

The hood must be replaced. It’s a galvanized aluminum hood. Aluminum doesn’t rust. This is called galvanic corrosion. Repairing it will not fix the problem. Then entire hood needs to be replaced. Apparently it’s a coating issuing during production. I’m the original owner of the vehicle and paid for extended warranties.

I was verbally quoted about $1,500 to replace the hood.

Becky

Reaction score

I have a 2019 Equinox in Black. I’ve been to two dealerships who both told me it’s not covered. I reached out to GM and had a representative contact me. As of this past week, I was told to bring the car back to the dealer and ask the service department to put in a request to have a GM field expert visit the dealership to make the final call. I’ve been dealing with this issue since March 2023.

The hood must be replaced. It’s a galvanized aluminum hood. Aluminum doesn’t rust. This is called galvanic corrosion. Repairing it will not fix the problem. Then entire hood needs to be replaced. Apparently it’s a coating issuing during production. I’m the original owner of the vehicle and paid for extended warranties.

Hi Nicky! Sorry to hear you are having the same issue but also glad to see your post. I spoke to Consumer Protection in Wisconsin again and they told me that I could email them that I don’t agree with their decision to not replace the hood using the corrosion warranty or not and also explain why I feel that GM should replace the hood because it is a defect and it was not caused by me. So on Monday, I will be sending that email. I have not been offered to have anyone from GM look at my hood as of now anyway. Please keep me posted on how that turns out for you. I was quoted about $2200 to replace the hood. I agree replacing is not the thing to do. I will be updating my post here as I go forward. Good luck.

Becky

Reaction score
Hi Nicky! Sorry to hear you are having the same issue but also glad to see your post. I spoke to Consumer Protection in Wisconsin again and they told me that I could email them that I don’t agree with their decision to not replace the hood using the corrosion warranty or not and also explain why I feel that GM should replace the hood because it is a defect and it was not caused by me. So on Monday, I will be sending that email. I have not been offered to have anyone from GM look at my hood as of now anyway. Please keep me posted on how that turns out for you. I was quoted about $2200 to replace the hood. I agree replacing is not the thing to do. I will be updating my post here as I go forward. Good luck.
Oops meant: “repairing the hood” is not the thing to do.

BDCEquinox

Reaction score
Ultimately, if it doesn't work out, you could look around at local "U pull" lots which sell used car parts. Could buy a hood that was pulled from a vehicle that may be totaled (if it was hit in the rear). Swapping the hood over is very easy and a local shop should do it for just an hour of labor plus cost of the part which would be a few hundred bucks.

I helped my dad locate a couple fenders and a door this way that he replaced himself on his car and it was very cheap and you cannot even tell the part came from another vehicle.

seahaspep

Reaction score
Anyone else have/had this issue? I bought the car in Jan 2023. First noticed the bubbling in early summer following a brushless car wash. I contacted GM and learned I have a corrosion warranty, but the 2 dealerships I went to say it’s not covered because this occurred from chipping and there’s no “rust through hole”! Body shops say that they could fix the hood and repaint it, but the bubbling will come back eventually because the corrosion is in the seam along the edge. What to do?!? I like the car, but am particular about the look of my cars, and in my over 50 years of driving used and brand new cars, never, ever had an issue such as this! I am thinking of trading the car in, but of course, the value of the car, is now lower partially because of this issue.
Yes! I’m having the same issue. Purchased a 2019 Equinox in August 2018. By June of 2019 I noticed the bubbling. I took it back to dealership & was told this issue is happening quite frequently. They did fix it or at least it appeared to be fixed. By September of 2022 more & more bubbling. Returned to the same dealership where they took lots of pictures & submitted to GM. I was then told it would not be covered under warranty unless it rusted thru. I asked why it was previously fixed by them. I was told they probably just fixed it “out of the goodness of their heart”! It should be noted that I purchased the extended warranty for this vehicle. I’m waiting a reply from GM but I have a feeling what their response is going to be.

I did notice that a class action lawsuit was filed on bubbling paint but only covered full size trucks & SUVs.

Any luck on your end getting this resolved?

Thanks.

Becky

Reaction score

Hi! Wondering if you heard from GM yet?

PoManNox

Reaction score
So far so good on my 2021 Equinox, but I just bought it used. I already know my fix. I put AVS bug shields on all my SUVs and truck hoods. A have one on order for my Equinox. The nose of my aluminum hood can do anything it wants under there. It's a throw away junk aluminum hood.

Becky

Reaction score
Yes! I’m having the same issue. Purchased a 2019 Equinox in August 2018. By June of 2019 I noticed the bubbling. I took it back to dealership & was told this issue is happening quite frequently. They did fix it or at least it appeared to be fixed. By September of 2022 more & more bubbling. Returned to the same dealership where they took lots of pictures & submitted to GM. I was then told it would not be covered under warranty unless it rusted thru. I asked why it was previously fixed by them. I was told they probably just fixed it “out of the goodness of their heart”! It should be noted that I purchased the extended warranty for this vehicle. I’m waiting a reply from GM but I have a feeling what their response is going to be.

I did notice that a class action lawsuit was filed on bubbling paint but only covered full size trucks & SUVs.

Any luck on your end getting this resolved?

Thanks.
Hi! Sorry to hear about your issue but also glad that you have contacted GM. I submitted a reconsideration to Consumer Protection who sent it on to GM on May 31. No response yet

seahaspep

Reaction score
Hi! Sorry to hear about your issue but also glad that you have contacted GM. I submitted a reconsideration to Consumer Protection who sent it on to GM on May 31. No response yet
Thanks. Please keep me posted & I’ll do the same.

Becky

Reaction score
Anyone else have/had this issue? I bought the car in Jan 2023. First noticed the bubbling in early summer following a brushless car wash. I contacted GM and learned I have a corrosion warranty, but the 2 dealerships I went to say it’s not covered because this occurred from chipping and there’s no “rust through hole”! Body shops say that they could fix the hood and repaint it, but the bubbling will come back eventually because the corrosion is in the seam along the edge. What to do?!? I like the car, but am particular about the look of my cars, and in my over 50 years of driving used and brand new cars, never, ever had an issue such as this! I am thinking of trading the car in, but of course, the value of the car, is now lower partially because of this issue.

Becky

Reaction score
Thanks. Please keep me posted & I’ll do the same.
So I heard back from GM finally on my reconsideration request and they denied doing anything at all stating because the 36 month warranty had expired! I was like what?!? I never asked for that to be considered. So I called my Consumer Protection Bureau about this and they said that they don’t get really involved unless the bureau gets enough complaints about an issue to make it worth while to pursue. They did tell me though that any complaints Consumer Protection Bureaus receive do get sent to the federal trade commission, but who knows how long it would take for them to notice and accumulate enough complaints to act on the issue. I then contacted GM Customer Service and asked why they were only considering the warranty aspect when I had specifically stated in my reconsideration request that GM look into the defective product (hoods) from their supplier and getting them to handle replacement of the hood. GM said again, there was nothing that they could do! So at this point I am looking into getting rid of the car, and never, ever buying another GM product. They don’t care about the peeling paint law suit, so they never will do anything about the hood bubbling issue either!

seahaspep

Reaction score
Our 2019 has been doing the same thing the 1st time within 9 months of owning it. Dealership supposedly “fixed” it. That lasted about a year & it’s worse now than ever. Dealership & body shop mgr at dealership will not fix. They tried to get GM to fix it & no deal. I recently spoke with someone at GM & was told it would have had to be reported within 1-2 years of ownership. I explained that it was reported & supposedly fixed. That got me nowhere. I was advised that everyone should file a complaint with the National Safety Council ??? in order to possibly get a recall? I’m not giving up & encourage people to keep complaining. I’ve never had a vehicle do this. I’ve been a GM owner for 50 years but that is probably going to change.

melissamarie

Reaction score
I have the exact same issue with my 2019 Chevy Equinox. Have you been able to get them to fix this? I am outside of the warranty for corrosion, I just passed 100k miles.

melissamarie

Reaction score
Our 2019 has been doing the same thing the 1st time within 9 months of owning it. Dealership supposedly “fixed” it. That lasted about a year & it’s worse now than ever. Dealership & body shop mgr at dealership will not fix. They tried to get GM to fix it & no deal. I recently spoke with someone at GM & was told it would have had to be reported within 1-2 years of ownership. I explained that it was reported & supposedly fixed. That got me nowhere. I was advised that everyone should file a complaint with the National Safety Council ??? in order to possibly get a recall? I’m not giving up & encourage people to keep complaining. I’ve never had a vehicle do this. I’ve been a GM owner for 50 years but that is probably going to change.
I am going to file a complaint, were you able to file one? I have same issue with my 2019 Equinox, it is so frustrating!

seahaspep

Reaction score
I am going to file a complaint, were you able to file one? I have same issue with my 2019 Equinox, it is so frustrating!
I’m working on filing a complaint but it appears that complaints thru National Safety Board may only handle safety issues? I’ll keep you posted.

seahaspep

Reaction score
The only responses I’ve received have been from the dealership & GM. A flat no from both. I’m not giving up.

melissamarie

Reaction score
The only responses I’ve received have been from the dealership & GM. A flat no from both. I’m not giving up.
I just spoke with GM also and they told me no also. It really is ridiculous that they are not covering this!

Members online

Latest posts