2019 1.5L 2wd LT charge pipe blew off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mutualwaffles

Reaction score
Yesterday as I was accelerating off the line at a red light I heard a loud thunk then my CEL illuminated and I was in limp mode. When I got home I noticed the charge pipe had blown off of the throttle body. A simple push and it was back on.

I did some googling and found that the spring clip that holds it on is usually the issue. But before I start trying to track down that clip I wanted see if there is anything else I should be looking at?

I did notice three days prior, when I was replacing the spark plugs that there was a considerable amount of oil and grime built up on the top of the throttle body where the charge pipe connects. I was just starting to look into that when the pipe popped off.

Any advice other than getting a new clip/new charge pipe? Or any separate advice for the oil issue?

2019 Chevy Equinox LT
79,252 miles

Thanks!

PoManNox

Reaction score
Could it have been jostled a little loose from the sparkplug change?

In terms of the oil carry-over, it's unfortunately the nature of the design. I dunno if you've seen any of the PCV system threads on these 1.5 turbos, but per design, a large portion of the PCV vapors are routed directly into the suction of the turbo. This oil/water mix gets forced through the turbo compressor, then cools, condenses and pools in the charge air cooler, where it eventually gets carried over into the throttle body. You'll notice it seeping out of that clamped area.

I don't know of a way to mitigate this unless you want to try to scab in your own catch can concoction into GMs wonderful one time use, tamper proof PCV system.

mutualwaffles

Reaction score

In terms of the oil carry-over, it's unfortunately the nature of the design. I dunno if you've seen any of the PCV system threads on these 1.5 turbos, but per design, a large portion of the PCV vapors are routed directly into the suction of the turbo. This oil/water mix gets forced through the turbo compressor, then cools, condenses and pools in the charge air cooler, where it eventually gets carried over into the throttle body. You'll notice it seeping out of that clamped area.

I don't know of a way to mitigate this unless you want to try to scab in your own catch can concoction into GMs wonderful one time use, tamper proof PCV system.
Not to my knowledge but I suppose anything is possible! I was going to replace the clamp anyway since it's only a few dollars and it will make my wife feel better.

I work at Valvoline and it's ironic because right after I posted this I had a Malibu with the exact same engine come in and I checked the throttle body and was like "ah so it's a systemic problem. Lovely design Chevy!"

Hey Vern!

Reaction score

SuperCruzes has a catch can set up to fix the PCV problem on the 1.5L. https://supercruzesstore.com/products/pcv-repair-kit-cruze-1-4-malibu-equinox-terrain-vanderhall-1-5

PoManNox

Reaction score
To me, their system will keep much of the oil out of the turbo and charge air tract, but I question how it will effect the engine long term.

Their system is blocking off one of the two vacuum sources that operates the vacuum side of 1.5Ts PCV system. The first vacuum source is ported internally from the intake manifold, to ports in the cylinder head, under the cam cover. Under any boost, which is pretty much all the time, the vacuum source switches to the port right at the turbo inlet since there is no manifold vacuum. From what I can see, this is the one that is being blanked off with the supercruze system. The stub closer to the air cleaner housing is intended to be the filtered air supply to the crankcase. There's no vacuum there.

I could off in my thinking and I am not knocking supercruzes as they build a quality product. I am very familiar with catch cans and currently have one on the VQ38DD in my 2022 Nissan Frontier. My 2021 Equinox is my first experience with a GDI turbo.

PoManNox

Reaction score
good point, I am not sure either. I ran a catch can on my 02 Avalanche. that's my only experience.
Yeah, I can't figure out that system from supercruzes. To me, the way SCs has it designed, it looks like it's taking away the majority of the vacuum source for the PCV system on the 1.5t.

I'd be really curious to see owner's experiences with this system and how much oil it collects with this setup on these particular engines.

Last edited:

Latest posts