2018 GM 1.5 Liter Turbo I-4 Ecotec LYX timing component maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chazajem

Reaction score
New here thanks for any help. My daughter is looking at taking a loan out for a 2018 awd with the 1.5 Liter Turbo I-4 Ecotec LYX Engine. I can't seem to find a definitive answer as to what the timing chain / components replacement interval would be. When and how much should she be looking to spend to take care of that? Are there any know issues that would make it wise to advise against it. The car looks clean and has 85,000 miles on it. I'm trying to look out for a 21 year old taking out a loan fresh out of school and on her first job. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Big Papi

Reaction score
Timing chains are not really an issue with the diminutive 1.5L Turbo. There are a host of other components that will fail and keep you busy long before you even consider it. Why not find a nice, non turbo, port injected, front wheel drive vehicle without stop / start that will almost assuredly be less prone to problems. But if you must ... You've been advised.

Keeping in mind internet advice is worth just what you paid for it. Best of luck!

Last edited:

BDCEquinox

Reaction score
New here thanks for any help. My daughter is looking at taking a loan out for a 2018 awd with the 1.5 Liter Turbo I-4 Ecotec LYX Engine. I can't seem to find a definitive answer as to what the timing chain / components replacement interval would be. When and how much should she be looking to spend to take care of that? Are there any know issues that would make it wise to advise against it. The car looks clean and has 85,000 miles on it. I'm trying to look out for a 21 year old taking out a loan fresh out of school and on her first job. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
You won't need to do the timing chain as long as you do the oil change on time, every time. My Wife's 18 Equinox has almost 160k miles on it and has never had timing service and has no timing chain rattle.

At 85,000 miles though it definitely could have been abused. Pull the oil cap and using a flashlight look in past the baffle to see if you can see any sludge. If it looks sludge free, and all of the electrical components are working, buy it.

That said, you do need to service the AWD system which includes transmission fluid every 45k miles, and transfer case and rear diff service every 35k miles.

ravenblack67

Reaction score
I just checked the owners manual and the service manual. There is no scheduled maintenance for the timing chain.

SYDNESB

Reaction score
I would be proactive and replace the vacuum pump. If they fail, can cause major damage. I've seen them fail at 50-70k. Use premium oil, change every 3k, ignore Oil Life Monitor. Use premium Top Tier approved fuel.

Staff online