Really bad gas milage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmmoJoe

Reaction score
Never turns it off so AWD on all the time. On my 2022 Escalade ESV, I generally run in 2 wheel drive for better mileage; it stays in the last setting 2 WD, 4 WD, or AWD. We rotate tires at oil change. The 2019 Equinox still has even tread on all tires and plenty of tread at 42,500 miles. I drive her car a lot, and remain impressed with its MPG and (KOW) its lack of repair needs.
So maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the equinox is always in FWD and you have to manually press the AWD button to turn it on. That’s how my 2019 and my 2022 are at least.

TopHat

Reaction score
So maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the equinox is always in FWD and you have to manually press the AWD button to turn it on. That’s how my 2019 and my 2022 are at least.
Wrong, unless something wrong with your system; the light on the switch should be lit when active and should retain the last setting. Hopefully, you have your manual; I always scan initially and eventually read the whole thing. This is for 2019 Equinox LT 1.5L AWD

BTW. the manual is downloadable and free for your model year.
Screenshot (108).png

AmmoJoe

Reaction score
Wrong, unless something wrong with your system; the light on the switch should be lit when active and should retain the last setting. Hopefully, you have your manual; I always scan initially and eventually read the whole thing. This is for 2019 Equinox LT 1.5L AWD

BTW. the manual is downloadable and free for your model year.
View attachment 2380
Yes I have the manual on my phone. I did not know it would stay on when the car restarted if the vehicle already had it engaged. Shows how much I use AWD Lol

ricklack

Reaction score
My only complaint about the AWD switch is that it's location is poor and sometimes accessing the storage compartment in front of it, I push the button turning it on or off. I've learned to check it, especially if I fill up the tank and notice slightly less mpg. Not to the extent of the OP, but it does drop a bit.

As for the OP, if the engine is running fine, and no symptoms seem to be present, perhaps resetting the computer would help. It would then relearn to your driving habits and hopefully provide better mpg. Disconnect the negative battery terminal for about 30 minutes or more. Keep in mind that doing this will cause most or all of your settings to revert to default and you will have to reprogram radio stations and menu settings.

I'm assuming that you've checked the air filter and other normal maintenance items? One thing I have not seen much are gas mileage complaints.

ricklack

Reaction score
My only complaint about the AWD switch is that it's location is poor and sometimes accessing the storage compartment in front of it, I push the button turning it on or off. I've learned to check it, especially if I fill up the tank and notice slightly less mpg. Not to the extent of the OP, but it does drop a bit.

As for the OP, if the engine is running fine, and no symptoms seem to be present, perhaps resetting the computer would help. It would then relearn to your driving habits and hopefully provide better mpg. Disconnect the negative battery terminal for about 30 minutes or more. Keep in mind that doing this will cause most or all of your settings to revert to default and you will have to reprogram radio stations and menu settings.

I'm assuming that you've checked the air filter and other normal maintenance items? One thing I have not seen much are gas mileage complaints. Only other thing is, does the transmission seem to be shifting ok? IE, it is not stuck in a lower gear causing the RPMs to run high?

Members online

No members online now.