Crossovers To Get GM’s New Twin-V6 First?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
There are some important trends going on in the auto industry right now, not the least of which is turbocharging and downsizing displacement. In fact, American consumers as a whole are moving away from V8 engines. We’re not saying the V8 will go extinct anytime soon, but many customers are looking for alternatives that offer both great fuel economy and performance.

GM plans to respond by offering a twin-turbo 3.0 liter V6 sometime in the next few years. According to GM Inside News, this engine is likely to find its first home in the Cadillac SRX and other crossovers.

30twin.jpg

Image: GM

Ford pulled off an impressive coup with its EcoBoost engines (originally named TwinForce), touting the twin-turbo 3.5-liter V6 as both fuel efficient and powerful. Thus far, the campaign has been successful, and GM is looking to emulate that success. It already has an engine code, LF3, though neither power nor fuel economy figures are yet available. With a half-liter less than the EcoBoost engine though, we imagine GM might be going for more fuel economy than horsepower.

The first likely candidate for the 3.0 liter twin-turbo is the Cadillac SRX crossover, which currently has a 2.8 liter turbo option. The SRX is due for a mid-cycle refresh soon, and is also slated to get a hybrid and all-wheel drive option. That doesn’t mean the twin-turbo won’t make it into any sports cars though. Rumors persist about a V6 or hybrid Corvette, and the new Camaro would be the perfect platform to offer a 3.0 liter twin-turbo engine between the standard V6 and the V8. If GM could get 350 horsepower and 30 mpg out of such an engine, they would have a real winner on their hands.

2010BlkGraniteNox

Reaction score
I read that...I dont expect much from this post

I see that engine going into RWD plateforms only. the 6T70/75 is only rated for 315HP/280lbs torque. They are re-designing the travarse, so maybe they go RWD? Or GM is coming out w/ a new FWD tranny to hold this power. The torque will be in the 350+ range easily

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Yeah I think that they will be going in cars like the Camaro before they hit crossovers like the Equinox and terrain. But who knows....

Members online

No members online now.