Tilt on steering wheel locked up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GreenGoose

Reaction score
I just bought a 2025 Equinox Activ last week, and yesterday morning I decided to push the steering wheel in to have more space while I ate a sandwich during a break from work.

I released the lever below the wheel but it wouldn't budge. I locked it back in place and lowered it again and the steering wheel wouldn't move. I gave it a strong push and it moved down while making a grinding sound, like setting a parking break.

It's now stuck like that and with the lever back up, the lever itself now is loose when pushing up, like it's broken.

I don't like the steering wheel this low and the dealership looked at it and said they'll need it for about three to four days. Booked appointment next week (earliest they had).

I can do drive it just fine, but there's just a wee bit of give up and down. Just wondering if this is a common defect. Only had about 300 miles on it.

Wondering if this will be a long repair or not. I paid all cash for it so I wouldn't have a car payment, now I'm going to have to get a rental.

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
It really sounds like something just broke or wasn't put together properly at the factory. Those things do happen. If I were this dealership and you just bought the car a week ago, i would make sure you got the loaner car. Push that angle with your sales person and see if they can do something for you. I really like the looks of the '25. Hopefully they get this issue sorted out and you can enjoy your new car.

Latest posts