Need troubleshooting help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

streetsports

Reaction score
Hello, new guy here. I'm not the actual owner. Just helping a coworker that just got scammed by a shop for $1,100.

Symptoms are.
While driving, randomly, the Rpm's will climb but the car wont accelerate. My guess was the transmission. Either TCM, low fluid, rings, plates etc. The weird thing is that sometimes it also had a rough idle and dies while sitting still.

The shop replaced the throttlebody with another used one (I would have started with the Idle air control valve over the throttlebody) and also replaced the intake manifold with a used one. They were probably assuming some sort of leak but instead of testing it by spraying starter fluid around the mating surface, they just swapped it.

They had his car for a week, didnt fix it and then charged him $1,100

He has a whole gaggle of kids and cant afford to try another shop at this point, so I offered to help if I can.

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
Did you take a look at the trans fluid at all? If it is amber and smells burnt, it may be toast already.
Do you have any codes? The TCM would light the CEL and give you a code.

streetsports

Reaction score
Did you take a look at the trans fluid at all? If it is amber and smells burnt, it may be toast already.
Do you have any codes? The TCM would light the CEL and give you a code.
2.4, pushing 200,000 miles and no codes. Starts fine. Doesn't seem to be tied to temps. I told him to get a transmission flush today and see if there's any change at all.

SteveK

Reaction score
You are suspecting tach increase is due to clutch slippage? But if it runs rough and dies that should be something else. My WAG is this is electrical, a loose connection in the ignition circuit. The transmission flush is good in any event as an eliminator and probably needed at 200,000.

TopHat

Reaction score
Check air outlet. If disconnected or leaking, could cause those symptoms. 1719857383101.png

Andersg

Reaction score
Tough situation without throwing parts at it. Had similar low power at high rpm’s and rough at idle with no codes triggering. Had same thought process about Tran slippage or other leaks. Searched a bunch of posts and strings in forums and utube and end result was VVT solenoids. They are easy to replace and had been done but with after market. Went AC delco brand and car was back to normal. About 150 in parts and easy to swap out, you tube it and you will see. If you are getting codes, share those and folks can help. Good luck!

Members online