Fuel Grade and Benefits - Shell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jkumbalek

Reaction score
Hi Group,

I've heard so many opinions on fuel grade and benefits so I wanted to start a post to hear what all of you think. Right now, since getting my 2023 Equinox, I've been using Shell regular 86 octane (high elevation). I've heard some recommend using Shell premium to get the benefits of V-Power NiTRO+ and some saying to fill up with Shell Premium every 3 or 4 tank fulls to get the cleaning power. Since this group knows a heck of a lot more about Equinox than I do, I wanted to pose the question: Is there really a benefit to using Shell Premium, either regularly or every 4 tank fulls?

Thank you,
Jerome

Moonwink

Reaction score
I like to the pump say this is "Top Tier" gasoline. It's supposed to keep your engine cleaner. I always try to fill my tank a Costco for economic reasons and I see their pump have the Top Tier label on them.

jkumbalek

Reaction score
I like to the pump say this is "Top Tier" gasoline. It's supposed to keep your engine cleaner. I always try to fill my tank a Costco for economic reasons and I see their pump have the Top Tier label on them.
Thanks for the link, it does help support using Shell regular but doesn't address the multiple opinions on using Shell premium V-plus NiTRO+. The link you provide as well as your opinion points to just using Top Tier without the need to pump in premium. Thank you for your thoughts!

PoManNox

Reaction score
As far as I know, our little 1.5T's were designed around 87oct gasoline. I just can't see mid or premium providing anything extraordinary other than emptying your wallet faster.

Premium is about $1/more per gallon in my area. ~$11-13 more per fillup isn't going to financially ruin me, but I'd rather use that money elsewhere.

I do prefer top tier fuel if I can find it. I luckily have a little mom/pop deli/gas station close to my house that sells TT fuel, so that's where I fill up most of the time.

Lee

Reaction score
As far as I know, our little 1.5T's were designed around 87oct gasoline. I just can't see mid or premium providing anything extraordinary other than emptying your wallet faster.

Premium is about $1/more per gallon in my area. ~$11-13 more per fillup isn't going to financially ruin me, but I'd rather use that money elsewhere.

I do prefer top tier fuel if I can find it. I luckily have a little mom/pop deli/gas station close to my house that sells TT fuel, so that's where I fill up most of the time.
I agree. I pay about 80 cents more for premium in my area.
My manual for my Equinox with the 2.0 calls for 93 AKI so I use premium.
Our motorcycle manuals call for 90 AKI so we use 91 AKI premium in those.
Our Malibu with the 3.6 calls for 87 AKI so we use regular E10 in that.
In Iowa it's easy to find 91 AKI with no Ethanol for the Equinos and bikes.
I prefer to use Top Tier gas.
Here's a list of all the USA gas companies that sell Top Tier gas. It's not hard to find.
I always use what the manual recommends.

jkumbalek

Reaction score
I agree. I pay about 80 cents more for premium in my area.
My manual for my Equinox with the 2.0 calls for 93 AKI so I use premium.
Our motorcycle manuals call for 90 AKI so we use 91 AKI premium in those.
Our Malibu with the 3.6 calls for 87 AKI so we use regular E10 in that.
In Iowa it's easy to find 91 AKI with no Ethanol for the Equinos and bikes.
I prefer to use Top Tier gas.
Here's a list of all the USA gas companies that sell Top Tier gas. It's not hard to find.
I always use what the manual recommends.
My issue is that 87 octane is recommended but only 86 octane is available in my area for regular and 88 octane for mid grade. I want to find this mysterious 87 octane regular! It would solve everything, haha.

Lee

Reaction score
My issue is that 87 octane is recommended but only 86 octane is available in my area for regular and 88 octane for mid grade. I want to find this mysterious 87 octane regular! It would solve everything, haha.
85 and 86 at higher elevations is just as good as 87 at sea level.
What's the elevation where you live?

Last edited:

ricklack

Reaction score
I'm the guy who runs premium Costco top tier gas almost exclusively and I am convinced my 170 HP four banger is now cranking at least 177 HP and kick the doors in of the newer 175 HP Noxes out there! And I'll get better mileage while doing it!

Seriously, it works for me, and in Canada, Costco does not charge as much as a difference for premium as most. I figure I am paying only a few cents more than most places charge for regular. I can afford it and it works for me, so I stick with it. I could try regular in it again for a bit to see if mileage and power are reduced, but don't feel the need. I enjoy my little fantasy world where my 22 Nox RS is the baddest SUV around! :cool:

Starfire

Reaction score
Move to Michigan. We have a ton of 87 octane. I've never been to a station here that does not have 87.

Lee

Reaction score
Move to Michigan. We have a ton of 87 octane. I've never been to a station here that does not have 87.
87 is available in almost all of the US except a few areas at high elevation.
He lives in Colorado and you don't always see 87 up in the mountains. At low elevations like eastern Colorado, 4,000 to 5,000 feet, you'll see 87.
The last couple of times in Colorado once we were in the mountains I noticed the pumps had 85, 87 and 91.

Last edited:

jkumbalek

Reaction score
I’ll stick to my mountains! Haha and continue to be confused with the octane levels up here!

jkumbalek

Reaction score
87 is available in almost all of the US except a few areas at high elevation.
He lives in Colorado and you don't always see 87 up in the mountains. At low elevations like eastern Colorado, 4,000 to 5,000 feet, you'll see 87.
The last couple of times in Colorado once we were in the mountains I noticed the pumps had 85, 87 and 91.
Now that you mention the elevation issue, I’ve also heard that turbo charge doesn’t play with the same physics when it comes to elevation so I’ve been doing the mid grade, which is 88. Still using top tier fuel.

Lee

Reaction score
Now that you mention the elevation issue, I’ve also heard that turbo charge doesn’t play with the same physics when it comes to elevation so I’ve been doing the mid grade, which is 88. Still using top tier fuel.
Turbo charged engines are able to compensate for the thin air at high elevations.

SYDNESB

Reaction score
Hi Group,

I've heard so many opinions on fuel grade and benefits so I wanted to start a post to hear what all of you think. Right now, since getting my 2023 Equinox, I've been using Shell regular 86 octane (high elevation). I've heard some recommend using Shell premium to get the benefits of V-Power NiTRO+ and some saying to fill up with Shell Premium every 3 or 4 tank fulls to get the cleaning power. Since this group knows a heck of a lot more about Equinox than I do, I wanted to pose the question: Is there really a benefit to using Shell Premium, either regularly or every 4 tank fulls?

Thank you,
Jerome
Absolutely, both Top Tier and using the highest octane has many benefits in the long term.

On my FB forum I have posted testing results. GMC Terrain Chevy Equinox Care & Maintenance

Thunderbolt

Reaction score
Using a higher octane than the engine is designed for does not create more horsepower, get better mileage or any other "perceived" improvements. It only empties your wallet quicker. After over 30+ years turning wrenchs for a living, some of the claims of increased power still amaze me LOL

SYDNESB

Reaction score
Being a parts changer for 30 years is meaningless. Have you actually data logged engine performance, efficiency, examine combustion chamber deposits when running various octane fuels. My 12 year old car actively monitors fuel volatility, timing, engine knock, alcohol percentage, exhaust temps and A/F ratios. Many studies including SAE and third parties showing improved fuel efficiency, power, and cleanliness using higher octane fuel.

mcycle-nut

Reaction score
Okay, now that we've got the fuel problem solved, let's talk about the BEST oil and tires for out beasties! 😆 Sorry, I've been in a lot of motorcycle forums. 😁

Reactions: Lee

pipwax

Reaction score
Hi Group,

Thank you,
Jerome
I just make sure any gas that I purchase is Top Tier gas. I add a can of Seafoam few Tanks.

TopHat

Reaction score
At higher elevations, you don't need 87 octane gasoline, which is why you can't find it. Top Tier and 86 is perfect, and sometimes even lower depending upon elevation.

TopHat

Reaction score
Being a parts changer for 30 years is meaningless. Have you actually data logged engine performance, efficiency, examine combustion chamber deposits when running various octane fuels. My 12 year old car actively monitors fuel volatility, timing, engine knock, alcohol percentage, exhaust temps and A/F ratios. Many studies including SAE and third parties showing improved fuel efficiency, power, and cleanliness using higher octane fuel.
Really, never seen such a study. I like to see one if you can point to a URL without too much trouble.

Higher octane is pure waste provided the lower octane has the same additives, which TOP Tier gases do. I use premium in my Cadillac Escalade but wouldn't waste the money in the Equinox.

Members online

Latest posts