2024 Equinox EV low efficiency

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iub4pu

Reaction score
Just purchased an Equinox EV 2RS. I am coming up on my first 1000 miles. I am reading about people getting 4.0 mi/kwh but I am getting nowhere near that. When I look at the lifetime number it is 2.7 mi/kwh!!!!! It doesn't seem to matter much what kind of driving I do (interstate, hwy, city) the best I've ever seen is about 3.1 mi/kwh. What am I doing wrong? I am a first time EV buyer. Should I have the dealership service department look at this? At this efficiency, my range for 100% charge is only 230 miles. I know there are many factors, but this is a huge difference from what I'm reading other people stating they are getting.
Typical drive has been 80% highway/interstate driving, 20% city. A/C set to 68, outside temperatures have been 80 - 90 degree F, highway/interstate driving 65-75 mph, have not driven in rain, no real wind, almost entirely daytime driving.
Would like some input as to what I should do, or what I am doing wrong.

ricklack

Reaction score
Are you using Top tier electricity? :ROFLMAO: Sorry, I couldn't resist, I know nothing about EVs.

stanwagon

Reaction score
I live in a cold climate (9500 ft elevation) so I cannot say what %age the AC uses. Check the screen that says what %age of your energy is going to AC. Your high temperatures should help out the efficiency. Driving a lot at 75 mph would hurt it. I drive only about 20% of my miles on interstates at 65 mph. I am getting 4.1 mi/kWh on my 2024 AWD Equinox EV (low air resistance here at 9500 feet) So your numbers do seem excessively low.

iub4pu

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Stanwagon. This is what I have learned since my original post. I made a 450 mile trip, mostly interstate and highway miles. The only difference was that I turned on One Pedal Driving. For that trip, I averaged 3.4 mi/kw!!!!! That is a significant increase. So far that has held up since I've been home. Yesterday, I made a trip of 50 miles and I set the OPD to high. I got 3.9 mi / kw. I can't believe that OPD could make that big of difference but it has. It has put my mind at ease about the efficiency that I was getting. I'm now at 1600+ total miles driven and my lifetime efficiency has come up to 3.4 mi / kw from the 2.7 that I was at.

stanwagon

Reaction score
That is very interesting. It seems to indicate that there is a lot of mechanical braking going on without the OPD setting on. That is odd. I have a RAV4 Prime (plug-in hybrid) and the Equinox. Touching the brake on the Toyota one sees the regeneration immediately. I would not have thought Chevy was different, but something is going on. Background: I bot a Bolt in 2017 and put 70000 miles on it. That got about 4.3 lifetime (rating is 3.9). There was the battery recall/replacement. As noted, the Equinox is getting 4.1+, though its rating is 3.2. I do not know if the Ultium battery on the new car will suffer in winter as much as the Bolt did. Outside temp makes a huge difference. Note that heated seats and steering wheel are often adequate, and they use MUCH less energy than the resistance heater. It is possible the Equinox has a small heat pump. Teslas do. Bolt did not. Anyway, of course with the Bolt I loved the very aggressive braking (regen) when one lifts off the accelerator. So on the Equinox I immediately set that setting to HIGH, as you have presumably now done. Note the AUTOHOLD feature, which I like (tho not relevant to energy use). From a BOLT user forum I learned that the lower air drag here near 10,000 feet makes a huge difference to fuel economy so that explains my good numbers. [[I actually wrote a paper on some of the ways the Bolt and Tesla measure economy. Send me a private message or look me up (I am Stan Wagon) and I can send you a copy if you want.

Latest posts