2020 Equinox AC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacque Equinox

Reaction score
My 2020 Equinox has 22,500 miles has been blowing hot air. I purchased this new when everything was shut down. This began early on and the dealer told me to turn it off and it resets. It did work, but NOT TRUE NOW. Thoughts?

ravenblack67

Reaction score
I think you should take it to a shop that does AC work and have it checked out.

Moonwink

Reaction score
Unless you've got some a/c tools, I'd say take it to someone that does.
I've had several new compressors leak refrigerant at first and after a few thousand miles using the a/c, they're now holding the charge. I wouldn't have believed it, but I haven't added any refrigerant to them in a couple of years after that bad start.

PoManNox

Reaction score
Could be a lot of things. Does the A/C blow cold air at any time, like right after cold start? If not, could be the compressor, compressor clutch, refrigerant pressure switch, lost refrigerant charge, etc, etc. If it's cold sometimes and then hot the rest of the time, that's usually radiator cooling fan related.

Our newer cars use R-1234YF refrigerant that is nice and expensive and the shop doing the troubleshooting is going to need the equipment for 1234YF. Not all shops will deal with it because of cost.

NXR71

Reaction score
My 2020 Equinox has 22,500 miles has been blowing hot air. I purchased this new when everything was shut down. This began early on and the dealer told me to turn it off and it resets. It did work, but NOT TRUE NOW. Thoughts?
I've got a 2020 Premier. Back then, GM had a publicly accessible web site called TIS2Web where an owner could enter their VIN and look up all of the firmware (software) updates available. I just checked the link and it's now dead because it was "transitioned" to something called Techline Connect. :(

It wasn't very intuitive but I was able to write down several update numbers. When the dealer replied that they could not find anything wrong with the Bose radio sound or A/C I specifically asked about firmware updates. The service writer gave the usual nonsense so I slid the printout across the counter and asked if they were applied.

One was for the radio sound calibration and another was for the A/C. The A/C would work great but after a while I had to keep increasing the climate control temp setting to get it to cool again.

The service writer called the mechanic up front and he looked at the papers and said "We never look at that stuff." So back in the bay it went and they did like five updates. Those were covered under the 3/36 warranty for free.

The point of all that is to mention that these cars are so computerized that performance issues may be firmware problems that only a dealer can update. And you may have to insist.

That's probably not the issue this time but it may have been needed for the first problem, and may still need updated. At a cost now, though. :(

Ohio_Farmer

Reaction score
I miss the days when the throttle, heater and e-brake were actuated with a piece of metal wire. No computers, no firmware, no eggheads needed. Just air, fuel, spark and compression.

Members online