2019 Equinox Coolant Fan Runs Then Stops

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JA Freud

Reaction score
Coolant fan will run intermittently when engine is first started then stops running at 200 degrees and won’t come back on. I have changed the coolant temperature sensor and the fluid level is good. Doesn’t appear to be relay to test, any thoughts?

JA Freud

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me. No codes and the ac works until the engine gets over 210. Changed the coolant temp sensor and the evap cooling sensor so far.

PoManNox

Reaction score
Man, you'd think there would be some kind of codes present, or reduced engine power, etc. How does the fan power connector look? Does the fan itself have any grittiness to it?

Does the cabin heat work and will cranking the cabin heat up make the coolant temperature drop? Just trying to see if the water pump is circulating like it should.

JA Freud

Reaction score
Coolant fan will run intermittently when engine is first started then stops running at 200 degrees and won’t come back on. I have changed the coolant temperature sensor and the fluid level is good. Doesn’t appear to be relay to test, any thoughts?
And it it a 1.5L

ravenblack67

Reaction score
The fan gets a signal from the ECM. Something is wrong with the ECM inputs or there is a fault in the ECM. A decent scan tool can access the cooling system module and activate the fan. That will verify the fan is okay. If it passes that test it must be one of the inputs to the ECM. You are going to need a scan tool and a wiring diagram.

JA Freud

Reaction score
The fan gets a signal from the ECM. Something is wrong with the ECM inputs or there is a fault in the ECM. A decent scan tool can access the cooling system module and activate the fan. That will verify the fan is okay. If it passes that test it must be one of the inputs to the ECM. You are going to need a scan tool and a wiring diagram.
Thanks, I’m down to the ECM. Local Chevy dealer will hook up and diagnose. He mentioned a software issue may be present and need programming. I guess I’ll bite the bullet and let them help out.

JA Freud

Reaction score
Chevy dealer thinks a blown head gasket. Going to pressure check the engine.

MrDabee

Reaction score
It is most likely a POS fan. The cooling fan in my new 2024 recently died @ just 10k miles.

Members online

No members online now.