2017 Rear window exploded

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2fanc4 u

Reaction score
Hi
When I went to leave work on Monday 22, 2024 and placing my Equinox in "R", I heard a loud noise that sounded like an explosion. I placed the SUV in "P" and get out and that's when I saw the rear window had exploded. There was no previous damage to the window, no one was cutting grass, no limb hit and there was no weather related incident. In fact, it was parked all day at my job (by the front door). My insurance thinks it was heat related but it was cloudy and had rained off and on.
The gentleman at the glass replacement business said it was probably due to the rear defogger not cutting off and continuing to heat the glass.
I contacted GM and was told it was environmental!! I have never had this happen before.

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
Not an uncommon occurrence. changing temperature and pressure in the cabin can cause this. When you start your car in the future, I would suggest opening the window slightly to help equalize pressure.

Latest posts