2016 Equinox Repair Estimate w/ multiple issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexSolo

Reaction score
Hi all, I got a repair estimate from a chevy dealer and my head melted. I had some noise while driiving/accelerating so took it in. Got quoted about $2700 for timing chain issues, and another $1500 for various upkeep things. A quick google search says timing chain replacment is about $1000. Am I crazy or getting taken advantaged of? I was considering a new car before this, but the repairs would be about what a recent Carvana trade-in/sell price would be. The car has about 140K miles. I still need to drive it for various needs, but nervous about the sounds, as it definitely is noisy. I had the noise a few months ago and read about going to get a oil change, which I did and the noise disappeared but came back recently a few months later. Would love any thoughts on this. TIA

EDIT: I'll also add I haven't had any error codes or check engine lights come on. It's a 2016 L or LT with a 4 cyl engine. It also is starting to lurch a little bit when I'm coming to a stop, but as yet has not died.

Last edited:

ricklack

Reaction score
I would take it to an independent mechanic and get another estimate. You don't have to take it to the dealer.

PoManNox

Reaction score
A timing chain job on one of these at a good independent shop will easily be $1500-2K. Most of it being labor. ~8hrs at $100-200/hr.

I know everyone has their reasons and justifications, but the problem is continuing to drive it for months after you hear engine noise. If the noise is from worn timing components, you are going to have metal bits circulated throughout the engine. You'll never get it all out. That being the case, I wouldn't put ~$4500 into just these repairs. You could put that into it and then have a major transmission or AWD problem, ABS, electrical, etc.. etc.

IMO, the Equionx gets a bad name because they don't necessarily get the proper maintenance done on them and people just tend to drive the snot out of them as-is until they're REALLY shot.

Members online

No members online now.