2011 2.4 awd rear thud somewhere and intermittent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theskyisoutthere

Reaction score
My 2011 2.4 AWD has an intermittent thud feel in back randomly before shift in any gear. Almost like a rear suspension piece is loose. But alignment shop could not find anything questionable.

It's intermittent and may happen every time I accelerate from a stop or might not happen at all.

It seems to occur when I am not longer gaining speed as in stoped pressing peddle harder, or up to speed already, it's like when the force of acceleration decreased but before any up shift. You feel it in back like it's behind you not really violent, just like driving over a pavement seam that isn't a bump just enough to notice it. Contact Chevy dealer who asked technician and he thought it could be a number of things involving suspension, or something else, really no help.

Background thought I felt this before the trans rebuild but it's not related to any gear or shifting. Could be in any gear even felt it in first through 4th but after that haven't noticed because of speed. Even setting it to m1 Got it to happen too.

Someone else suggested to as a precaution to change the fluids in rear and transfer case. I didn't know that history of them any how. Rear obviously was never changed yet, but look used but ok, no big metal fuzziness or anything. Transfer case most likely was previously changed. Wasn't sure if they guy also used that when we did the transmission. Funny thing was transmission shop guy said if he did change it he didn't bill me for it, it wasn't on the invoice. So they have both been changed anyway and no difference in the feel of the back thud. Strangely if I accelerate harder it won't do it at all. It's just really driving around town. And typically always between 20 and 50 miles an hour under normal driving acceleration the. Up to speed feel a thud.

No codes, or help from computer.

theskyisoutthere

Reaction score
I wonder if it is one of the axles or the drive shaft.
Could be but with car in air could not make a noise when rotating them. I had thought about maybe a drive shaft component nothing seemed like it would be the culprit.
I was hoping someone else here had this same issue before, I hate to wait till it gets worse to find it

Members online

Latest posts